Clear All

• Immaculate Montego EFI

Very tasty:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Montego...item338d14264b
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

This was discussed last week on the following link: http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19852

I remember when it was previously owned by MG NUT (Brian) in 2005 until he sold it a few years ago. A very nice example and probably originally owned by Rover Cars, going by its F...AOP registration.

Comment

And another, wow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Montego...item4ad9cf5320
      MG Maestro Turbo #500
      BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
      Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
      Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
        That is the one I went to buy but walked away from. Very nice car but not as nice as the one I have now.

Things I noticed were :-
        Wrong modern style number plates, modern flexi wipers, wrong wheels for year & originals lost, rear spoiler not fitted, modern ugly after market sunroof, overspray on front door rubber tubes that house the wires.

Whilst the above items aren't that important in reality it was to me considering the price rose by nearly £1000 (to just under £5K) when I went to buy it so that in it's self was 50% of my decision to walk & to get it to the level of detail that mine is now would have meant the car & extras would end up standing me in probably over £8000.

Car does drive absolutely beautifully though & with a bit of fettling will be a perfect example.

Comment

Whatever price this example ultimately sells for, I hope it goes to a good home and will continue to be appreciated.

My Father's first company car was a late 1984 MG Montego EFi finished in Targa Red, so this example brings back some happy memories.
          Last edited by David3500; 4th August 2014, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
            That is the one I went to buy but walked away from. Very nice car but not as nice as the one I have now.

Things I noticed were :-
            Wrong modern style number plates, modern flexi wipers, wrong wheels for year & originals lost, rear spoiler not fitted, modern ugly after market sunroof, overspray on front door rubber tubes that house the wires.

Whilst the above items aren't that important in reality it was to me considering the price rose by nearly £1000 (to just under £5K) when I went to buy it so that in it's self was 50% of my decision to walk & to get it to the level of detail that mine is now would have meant the car & extras would end up standing me in probably over £8000.

Car does drive absolutely beautifully though & with a bit of fettling will be a perfect example.

I'm sorry, but I won't stand by and Let a car be knocked this bad, when the owner is no longer able to defend his work.
            I wasn't going to, but can't ignore some of the issues mentioned above.

There have been issues with regards to the varying price, which Bob's widow wished to achieve, but..........

Not long after "walking away from it" Andy, you then posted up that you own car was in need of works, including the replacement of a "Temporary Arch repair" !.

All good if the car was not for you, but saying it would end up costing 8k total for you to buy it, and then get it to the standard you wanted, is not exactly fair is it?

Especially when you stated previously that your car was worth 6k, and then later saying it still needed work, which included an arch replacement, which is not exactly the repair you would expect a car worth 6k to need?

Bob's car is an amazing example of "preservation", the wheels were changed for the obvious reasons, so not worth knocking it for that, (plenty of people out there would likely offer the new owner a set for free if it was that important.)

The rest as you say are minor, and in my personal experience "very Minor", and it would not cost the estimated price you have placed on those "Rectifications".

The owners did not come up with a price out of thin air, it was an educated valuation based on our examination of the car, and the works carried out that led to it's current condition.

Jeff and I fully inspected the car, and Jeff and I agreed it's "Quick sale" and "Long Sale"" values.

IE: What the owner should list the car for as a minimum to gain a quick sale.

And a Value based on what the car should achieve given the correct advertising, and awaiting the right buyer.

Making out someone else' car out to be less than it is, when openly over valuing your own, only to later admit your own car needs more than "cosmetic" works, is not a very nice thing to do.

We all know you want to achieve your vision of perfection Andy, but let's not be too cruel to other peoples cars in the process.

For the most part, Bob's car was a "Major recommissioning" which included a full respray. Whereas your car has over the years, had works equating to an almost full restoration..
            Both car's are in completely different leagues to each other.

Mal.

Comment

I'm not going in to 'tit for tat' on this car.
              Mal and I agreed the value on the car as previously stated on other threads for a quick sale or 'wait' sale and gave the family our advise

Unfortunately Jayne, Bobs widow, didn't heed the advise given and made the wrong decision at the time and now she's paying for it in the fact that it hasn't yet sold and it also upset potential buyers doing this.

The car is still worth £4,000 and Andy you agreed that when I spoke to you before about it and again yesterday.

As also stated, you have spend a considerable amount of money on your Montego getting it to the standard you have it now. Bob didn't spend anywhere near that amount so his car is in a different league.

The only thing any buyer would need to do is replace the spoiler, and it comes with the car. Nothing else would have to be spent at all.

It's a shame that it could have been sold quickly but it's happened now and Jayne just wants the car gone and out of the way.
              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Ive thought about this car quite abit, Ash has offered it me now for 3k, but although its a clean low mileage car its not for me, for me the later facelift cars are much better all round, there is a small patch of rust on this one under the rear window, not much but will need sorting, it needs the correct wheels and the spoiler fitting and its a nice car, at 3k I now feel the price is more accurate, I hope it goes to someone who will look after it. I know Andy agreed to buy it at 4k but by moving the goalposts once he got there was wrong, if they had left it at 4k Andy would have bought this and id now have his car, prices are on the up for these cars, but the asking price isn't always the selling price and that's what people never really know. Ive lost two cars this year now, both cars I felt I was paying a good price for, theres no point in over inflating the prices, they are still worth what someones prepared to pay, I think there maybe a few people, myself included who would spend 5k on a Montego, to most people they just aren't up there in sought after classics yet. This car is now a good buy for someone at 3k, at 4 or 5k it perhaps wasn't, this has been proved by it not selling.

Comment

As usual things get taken out of proportion. I stated that had I paid the price I was asked in order to get it to the level of detail of mine it would have cost the figure I stated and I stand by that.
                  I am not and have not slated the other car, it is a lovely car and if my post was read properly that fact would have been realised. I said to get it to the level I have done to mine would cost that sort of money but that is simply how I would want it as I am OTT fussy. I have just bought an MG Metro & it will be having similar treatment.
                  I know that is not to most peoples standards as in way too much but that is how I want it as in all underneath cleaned,painted etc as well as wheel arches, engine bay etc. in other words I want it as clean as a new car so therefore to get the c reg MG to that level would cost but that would be the same as pretty much any other car.The items I pointed out we're not slagging off at all and I suspect if the car was owned by Joe Soap of Timbucktwo and Mr Soap was advertising it for £5k and certain members here viewed it they would say similar things. What I said were honest evaluations.
                  I also think that some people need to read the definition of the word restoration too.

Oh,,,,,,,,,& why did my MG Montego recently go back into the bodyshop? Because it wasn't how I wanted it either partly due to it being done in stages rather than in bulk. It was good but not perfect so I wanted further attention though it did not need a new wheel arch so that was complete tosh too. I showed Mikey V8 a picture of my wheel arch and he couldn't even see anything wrong with it but as my roof wasn't perfect and neither was the colour match that MAPS did last year on the rear o/s wing and sill then there was a tiny bit of surface rust on the inner edge of my arch I said do it. I then wanted it looking all shiney behind the rear lights, bumper and inside lower boot so got that done along with all the inner door shuts up to the black paint on the "B" post. I never got the rear door hinges and the inner side of the rear doors done so simply wanted that tidied up
                  And a spot of rust was noticed on the bottom of each n/s door so that needed doing. It is now where I want it to be.

My car is not perfect either to the pureist as I have the wrong wheels, wrong grill although a genuine accessory part, wrong indicators on wings, GSi wood cappings and eft painted in red on the throttle body so no doubt certain folk would criticise that but who cares.
                  I don't see what the problem is as my comments were accurate and true. I wonder if I was to offer a car to MG Mal & then decide to increase the price by 20% if any comments were made on the forum about that?

5 years ago I went to put a paint protection on a customers brand new car that he had literally just got home from the dealer with. By the time I had finished it I said to him I would take that car back to the dealer to get a full refund as it is a disaster with all manor of body related defects. He did and was fully reimbursed on taking my advice. He thanked me for being very critical.
                  Last edited by The Express Valeter; 4th August 2014, 23:08.

Comment

Working...
                  X