2001 Y reg 'Apple 2000' Rodacar Maestro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Y reg 'Apple 2000' Rodacar Maestro

That's right, not an N registered Apple. It is one of the very few which were fitted with catalytic converters and given 'current' registrations. He firstly listed it as a Ledbury, but I had doubts, as it has the same wheel trims as my 'Apple 2000' and a Northampton registration (given to other Apple cars).

Since I asked which type of chassis number it has, he has realised that it is not a Ledbury because it has a Rover 'SAXX...' VIN. Therefore, this shouldn't attract a higher insurance premium as it isn't a kit car.

Looks in very good condition, front bumper excluded, with just 5,500 miles!

Click here

Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Must admit I do like the look of that. It could quite possibly have the most recent registration for any Maestro carrying the familiar Austin-Rover SAXX* VIN number. If I had justification (and, to be honest, more cash) I'd make him an offer on that. Mind you it would be somewhat short of the £1500 he's wanting, so I may well get refused.
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Aye looks nice but a bit salty. Re the mileage, it could well be a lot less than 5k, as is appears to have the infamous sticker over the speedo, so the speedo reads in MPH but I bet the trip still reads in kph!

Comment

Chris, that looks to be the speedo section from a MK2 instrument unit - My Ledbury had the same set-up.

John, you're quite right - It is probably the 'newest' registered one with a proper Rover chassis number. I agree, it's a tempting thought, but I would end up with two black Apple 2000 cars if I had that! I would much rather have the red 51 reg, but then the insurance premiums will be higher as that one is a kit.

I would only offer £900 at the very most, with a full tank of fuel as well.
        Steve Worsley

Comment

Well Steve there's one thing it's confirmed: at least some if not all Apple 2k cars must've come with those wheel-trims as standard. It's too coincidental for both your car and that car to have been fitted with the exact same aftermarket wheel-trims by totally unrelated owners.
          Regards
          John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Steve, regarding the insurance being less because it's not a kit car... My Ledbury insurance is significantly less than the quote for a 1.3 Clubman I got, infact nearly half the amount, conditions of the insurance were identical.

Dave

Comment

Interesting...I have a work-colleague who has two Ledburies and he too reckons he gets a right royal shafting because of their status as kit cars. Who are you with, Dave? Maybe Steve could take a note of them as a 'recommended insurer' for other Ledbury owners? Even if they don't always provide the most competitive quote for everybody, they'd maybe make a good baseline.
              Regards
              John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I think he said Adrian Flux. I will have to ask them, but I have asked Admiral who were the cheapest for my 1.3 Special and they want another 200 notes for a 51 reg Ledbury Maestro.

On another note, given LHD also attracts a higher premium, would it be wrong for me to chop my N reg in for this Y reg?
                Steve Worsley

Comment

I had a classic / kit policy with AON. I then changed it to a classic fleet policy that includes my Ledbury, and my imported & tuned 300zx. My M16 MG Maesty is with the club recommended one. I'm lucky to live in a very good postcode area, I'm an automotive design engineer, and have a completely clean licence + IAM.

(Reading that i'm not a guy that is easily pleased by standard out of the factory cars... no wonder I always spend ages trying to explain to these companies what I've got!)

Dave

Comment

I offered £750 for this and got refused abruptly.

This was a long time ago when he was asking for "OFFERS" around £1000

Comment

Edit ^^^

The seller selling it paid a lot less than that for it.

As I got an e-mail saying it sold (As many people were kept in the loop) for less than he wanted which was £1000... And seeing as my £750 was refused, I can only imagine it was 8-900....

I'd like this, but wasn't willing to pay more than £750 for it... And am still not.

Comment

I found myself in the vicinity of March this evening, collecting a bathroom sink that I'd bought off eBay.

Cat and I thought that we'd take a quick look to see if we could find the garage that was offering this car for sale and after a very brief search found it, parked on a forecourt behing a tall fence. It wasn't much of a surprise really because that particular garage often has interesting cars in. There was recently a lovely Jaguar XJ-S and tonight a Triumph Spitfire with something Morganish parked behind it.

The number plate was a bit of a giveaway because it has 'Apple 2000' and a telephone number on the bottom of it, so no mystery as to where it hails from then! There is an obvious dent in the front bumper and the only other imperfection I could see at the front of the car was a small patch by the bumper which seemed like it had been resprayed badly. I'm assuming that the previous owner had a problem with stuffing that side into things!

I couldn't get round the car to see the back and sides but from what I could make out it was very clean and tidy.

I even caught Cat saying that she wouldn't mind it as we were driving away... I think my offer of £500, might get turned down ;-).
                        You can contact me by clicking here.
                        Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

Well, Y532PNH is now mine :-) It is in pretty good condition overall, it just needs the front and rear bumpers sorted and a couple of small scrapes on the passenger side touched in. All in all I'm well pleased with it, but it's not going out until it's had a good dousing with preservative everywhere. I did have to travel almost 300 miles to get it (and 300 back of course)!

Comment

I'm glad it went to an enthusiast. Thanks again for the additional information sent for the Register.

Some new photos would be good Hopefully you'll be able to improve upon the car and it'll be a real corker.
                            Steve Worsley

Comment

Working...
                            X