2.0HLS Monty rises from the ashes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.0HLS Monty rises from the ashes!

For ten years I have been waiting for this... Some of you know how hard I have been searching for an HLS, but now - thanks to Simon - I have one! Literally plucked from the scrapyard, here she is, and she still has some MOT left! There's not a lot of work to do, the majority of the bodywork needed is on the driver's side rear quarter as you can see in the pictures. I may try and get one of the new rear quarters if one is still available??!

I see no reason why it wouldn't pass an mot. The Zircon Blue paintwork is bright and shiny and the interior is mint, no cracks in the dash, spotless seats, all the electric toys work and the headlining is not sagging at all! The engine has been well serviced and it drives brilliantly having covered only 67k miles.

As for me cutting down to one Montego, well, come on, could I really pass up rescuing such a beauty? :laugh: Thanks again to Simon as without his eagle eye, this car probably would have been crushed!

Last edited by Ed; 8th April 2006, 17:13.
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

WOW! *jaw drops to floor*

Well rescued Ed and Simon

Comment

Very nice, looks clean is there more rust on it than shown on the pictures because it looks in good condition. What bhp is that 2L is it 115 like in the mg efi's or does it run on carbs.
        MG Maestro Turbo #500
        BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
        Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
        Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Now i'm confused... I thought you were going to be working abroad?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
            Very nice, looks clean is there more rust on it than shown on the pictures because it looks in good condition. What bhp is that 2L is it 115 like in the mg efi's or does it run on carbs.
            The rust you can see is pretty much it. Theres a few bits on the underside that need rubbing down and resealing but no holes. I think its about 105bhp IIRC, it runs on carbs.

Comment

FANTASTIC!!!!

A brilliant find, especially in such great condition.
              A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
              Maestro Camper Van
              Maestro 1.3L
              Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

Glad you like it, Ed! Knew you would...Well done for rescuing it!
                M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

My God! I can't believe you found one!

I can guess how made up you must be. A bit of a strange move you find it at this time really. It looks really good. I would be doubly impressed - it's a very early one and it’s Zircon Blue - such a nice colour! Now imagine what an excellent pair the HL and HLS will make?

Excellent Ed!

So Simon, where did you find it, and how long did it take to be rescued? :laugh:

Comment

Well the good news is that I have just been offered a new job in Felixstowe, on more money so I haven't got to worry about being out of work anymore although it will involve moving so I'm moving back into Ipswich in a couple of weeks. It was still a good idea for me to cut right back with the cars but I'd been looking for an HLS for so many years that I wasn't going to let this one go to the crusher. I'm glad the scrapyard agreed to sell it whole. Can you imagine if he turned around and said that he couldn't sell it to me cause it was in a scrapyard??!

There was a couple of other Montys in that scrapyard. A late red estate and a black VP EFi, although the EFi was pretty well stripped.

I'm obviously keeping the HLS. whether or not I'll keep the Metro now I don't know. The HLS is going to need some cosmetic bodywork so I may just put her away until such time I can get it done. I'll re-mot her so that I can get her to a show or two as I'm sure some of you will want to see her.

Comment

Ed, did the VP have a metal sunroof?

I would like to get one for my turbo as it originaly had one, but it was replaced with a glass one after damage.

Mal.

Comment

Nicely saved Ed
                        I cant see the pics though .. maybe its the crap PC I have got at work ..
                        Look forward to seeing this at the shows

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL
                          Ed, did the VP have a metal sunroof?

I would like to get one for my turbo as it originaly had one, but it was replaced with a glass one after damage.

Mal.
                          Hi Mal, the VP was an E reg so I reckon it would have had a glass sunroof but there was another car plonked on top of it anyway.

Comment

Nice find ed bet your well pleased by the way what is the differance between the hl and hls is it just interior parts? or outside to ??

Comment

Originally posted by passionwagon
                              Nice find ed bet your well pleased by the way what is the differance between the hl and hls is it just interior parts? or outside to ??
                              The HLS has the following features as standard over the pre-1987 HL model year. Central locking, electric front windows, 2.0 carb O series engine as standard with PAS, Tilt/Slide sunroof, full fabric trimmed seats (early HL Montys had vinyl backed seats) and chrome bootlid trim. Other than that, externally the HLS is the same as the HL and the interior seat design and fabric was the same. The HLS was discontinued in early 1986 when the Mayfair was launched, hence the HLS is very rare as it was only produced for 2 years between 1984 and 1986. Its a very "forgotten" model, hence I've always wanted one! :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                              X