tuning prima diesel engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuning prima diesel engine

Does anyone have any info or links to sites that offer advice on how to get the best performance from these engines?
    Mine smokes a little on harsh acceleration which I'd like to cure.
    I'd also like to add an intercooler.
    Is this worthwhile?
    Any help/advice would be great.
    Gary

http://www.triple-m.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2938

Comment

There is an excellent article in the FAQ on tuning the turbo diesel.

Tuning Your Turbo Diesel

E_T_V the person who wrote the turbo diesel tuning article (my other half) is planning on putting an intercooler in the our turbo diesel campervan soon. I am sure he will be able to give you the benefits and advice this evening when he is on the internet.
      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by crossy2425
        Does anyone have any info or links to sites that offer advice on how to get the best performance from these engines?
        Mine smokes a little on harsh acceleration which I'd like to cure.
        I'd also like to add an intercooler.
        Is this worthwhile?
        Any help/advice would be great.
        Gary
        Smoking on harsh acceleration is fairly normal and so long as it passes the emissions test on the MOT then I'd not worry too much. I've written a brief tuning guide in the link posted by skatiechik. The first thing to do is to check the turbo boost pressure, as they tend to "lose" boost over time as the actuator wears. Fit a boost gauge ( temporary or permenant the choice is yours) into the boost line from the turbo to the injection pump.
        Fitting an intercooler is a good idea as you'll get extra torque throughout the rev range and if your boost remains the same then your engine will have an easier life, or you can up the boost a little to get further performace gains.

I'm planning on fitting one to my campervan as it is definatly the best bolt on performance mod that you can make in my view.
        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Any particular kind of intercooler?
          In front or behind the rad?
          Cheers. Gary

Comment

Anything you can get to fit and the bigger the better in general. Definatly situated infront of the rad as otherwise the radiator "out" air will be warming the air going into the engine.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V
              Anything you can get to fit and the bigger the better in general. Definatly situated infront of the rad as otherwise the radiator "out" air will be warming the air going into the engine.
              I was looking, as you do, as I changed the rad on my Maestro a couple of days ago... I think it has to be said on these, if you're going the front mount route, you've got to look into moving the rad fan inside the engine bay - shouldn't be too difficult.

What might be, this side of some severe angle grinding and making things more obvious, is getting enough cold air directed onto it to make it all that effective.
              Last edited by SteveC; 14th November 2005, 00:28.

Comment

If you want an intercooler installation keep it simple and mirror the set up used on the Maestro/Montego Turbo, it will increase boost threshold though so some response will be lost as the turbohcharger has to cope with the extra pipework and pressure drop of the intercooler core.

TBH i wouldnt bother using an intercooler until you have increase the boost and the fuelling, this will see you the right side of 100bhp anyway and torque getting on for O series Turbo levels which is quite enough for an old smoker really.

Comment

Working...
                X