Why you should change your antifreeze regularly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you should change your antifreeze regularly

This is the reason you should change your antifreeze regularly. Otherwise especially if you own a diesel this happens:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by E_T_V; 26th March 2005, 22:15.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Thankfully this car can be saved and actually has a very good engine (apart form the head which is being replaced with the one in the photo below. Compare the two photos of the head!
    Attached Files

Comment

Who's car/engine is this?

Are the honing marks in the cylinder a good thing? I mean, have they been made by the piston, or a honing tool?

Comment

The car and engine belong to a group of our club members who are hoping to complete the staples to naples rally in it later this year.

Honing marks most definatly are a good thing. A honing tool is used when the engine is first built to roughen the cylinder walls up so that the piston rings can bed in properly. (I know it seems silly to want the cylnder walls to be slightly rough but there are proper scientific reasons for it). As you can see the criss cross pattern is still visable meaning that the engine has had little or no wear to it as the honing marks wear away with age as the piston and rings slowly wear away at them (wear from the piston would be in the form of vertical scratches rather than the criss cross ones observed. This engine has I believe been re-bored/resleeved and fitted with oversize pistons fairly recently by the look of it. Which is obviously a good thing It is a shame the same attention wasn't paid to the cylinder head but as you can see that is on the mend now.

Comment

Mmmm....It's like having a steam room in your engine bay...
          Attached Files

Comment

Sorry to ressurect a thread from the dead but here is the corrosion in my TD engine when the headgasket started to leak.

I'm posting it up now as I need to link to it on another site!
            Attached Files

Comment

yep
              my recent 1mm rebore to my old perkins has glazed piston walls and this has caused me to loose loadsa oil burnt
              The guys are going to hone the piston walls as under guarantee
              0-60 in 8.2 hours 1/4mile in time for breakfast but the rust wins hands down

Comment

i use halfords 5 yr long life antifreeze as prevents boil over......!!
                but since the head gasket went....iam a little lost
                0-60 in 8.2 hours 1/4mile in time for breakfast but the rust wins hands down

Comment

Working...
                X