a reg 1.6 l monty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a reg 1.6 l monty

yesterday i picked up a very rare 1984 a reg 1.6 l monty with no less than 34500 on the clock she runs like a dream and drives well apart from the wheel whoble she had been garaged for the past 2 years and today is the first time she has been away from her home in london i will get some pics take ( yes ed please post some for me ) then u can all see what she is liek

Originally posted by steve smith
    yesterday i picked up a very rare 1984 a reg 1.6 l monty with no less than 34500 on the clock she runs like a dream and drives well apart from the wheel wobble
    When we had a wheel wobble on our old Maestro it was because one of the front wheels was a bit buckled. Try swapping the spare or get some new wheels for it.

Great to have an A-reg Monty with so little mileage. Our A-reg MG Maestro 1600 has been a fantastic car - it was a low mileage 1 owner car.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple
      Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
      Here they are. Very nice example of an early Monty. Just goes to show they did have the ability to make a few good ones! :laugh:

1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Very nice Monty, er, Montyboy.

Are those original front speaker grilles? - they look very different to later Maestie ones.
        You can contact me by clicking here.
        Owner of E760 DRY - Mk. 2 Shantung Gold Maestro Vanden Plas 2.0 EFi

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. - Sir Peter Ustinov.

Comment

very nice

Comment

It has to be said, that Montego looks brilliant. I'm quite jealous...

There again, I'm in too deep with my Monty to back out now! :laugh:

Seriously, one lovely-looking Montego. Nice one!
            Rich Smith

"Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
            "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
            "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
            "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

You can email me here

Comment

Originally posted by F153JUE
              Very nice Monty, er, Montyboy.

Are those original front speaker grilles? - they look very different to later Maestie ones.
              They certainly are the original ones. Not sure about the 1.3 Montys but I believe the 1.6 and 1.6L's had these up to 1988.

Comment

10/10

Cool - Eclipse Blue like my first Maestro. Original number plates with dealer logo, Supercover sticker, original bendy keys, wheel trims all present and correct, crystal clear headlights and no stone chips - it looks wonderful.

Comment

Very nice! It’s the same colour as my 1.3 Montego.

My car has the same colour interior too, and has the very same odd looking speaker covers on the front door.

It certainly gives me something to aim for. I would be happy indeed if my car looked like that next year.

Nice to see another early car finding its way into enthusiast’s hands.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple
                    wheel trims all present .

Dident no they had theise wheel trims on the montys, thought there went on the 80's rover 213.
                    MG Maestro Turbo #500
                    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
                    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
                    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

just to let peps know she has now had a complete new set of brake shoes and pads as the old ones where the ones that austin fitted when she was new yes i have still got the old ones will get some pics of them later the resaon she has lived so long is teh old guy never went anywhere in her and only did 5000 miles in the past 11 years so she has not had the useage liek most others did.

montyboy the pics look wounderful

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
                        Dident no they had theise wheel trims on the montys, thought there went on the 80's rover 213.
                        These trims were unique to metric wheels on the 1.6L, 1.6HL & 2.0HL/HLS until 14" wheels were made standard in 1987. The only similarity to the Mk1 Rover 200 series is the holes around the outside. Otherwise, the Monty ones are bigger and have the circular pattern in the centre, not the Rover shield.

Comment

right i did it as of yesterday A87 KLU passed her mot with flying colours with nothing needing doing what so ever even the 20 year old lower ball joints and track rod ends where ok as where the front wheel bearings and the emmisions where as low as low can be on a montego of her age. there was no need for welding as none has ever been done on her i am so please no all i gotta do is put her under cover and remove the rad and make a start on cleaning up teh few rusty bits she has got on her ready for next year and any show that is coming up.

Comment

i have had confirmed by Skatiechik that my a reg monty has teh oldest recorded vin plate in the club now how about that for a find ehh
                            i will now be looking after her much better that i first thought am getting her put under dry cover asap

Comment

Working...
                            X