Fuel Pump Or Related Issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Or Related Issue.

My MG Montego has been in bed in the garage all winter with a nice warm radiator to keep him warm. Last weekend I went over & ran the engine for around 15 minutes.
    Yesterday as the weather was lovely I wanted to pull it out of the garage to fettle but I started it & it revved then went burburblub stop & just kept doing it. A bit later I turned the key & realised I could not hear the fuel pump kick in.

Damn new pump fitted last summer, fuse is ok. Is there likely to be anything else than the pump its self? I can't get to the pump as car is in the garage & can't get under it as if I pull it out I won't get it back in the garage again lol.

Isn't there 2 relays on the 2.0i models by airfilter housing where it bolts to body that control fuel pump? Might be worth checking them
    MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Comment

Thanks I will have a look. I did look through the handbook to see if there were any other fuses related.

Comment

If I remember, you can swop the relays around and the car should run.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
          Thanks I will have a look. I did look through the handbook to see if there were any other fuses related.
          If yours is a face lift model, and I believe it is, with the Bosch system then it has a multifunction unit instead of 2 relays
          Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 10th March 2014, 17:08.
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
          2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
            If yours is a face lift model, and I believe it is, with the Bosch system then it has a multifunction unit instead of 2 relays
            Yes it is Facelift with MEMS system.

Comment

Hi Andy, you didn't get one of those 30 quid pumps off eBay did you?
              I got one and it lasted a week!

Comment

Checked the fuel cut-off behind the stereo? they can be accidentally tripped as can cause no end of headaches!
                Ian Drew
                MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                MG ZT V8
                Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                  Hi Andy, you didn't get one of those 30 quid pumps off eBay did you?
                  I got one and it lasted a week!
                  I didn't buy it the restorer (Costwold Classic Car Restorations) bought it. He did say the first one he bought didn't work so I have my suspicions. It is blue if that is the same as yours.

My local factor can get me a Bosch so will go for that if it turns out it is caput.

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
                  Checked the fuel cut-off behind the stereo? they can be accidentally tripped as can cause no end of headaches!
                  I had forgotten about that.

Comment

Sorted it Andy?
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                      Sorted it Andy?
                      Not yet Jeff, just left it lol. Got the ZR-Express Van being serviced on 22nd so will get him to look. I am useless with mechanics & have little to no patience so it is best I leave it.

Comment

The one I had was blue too. The fault I had turned out to be a furred up filter on the pick up pipe in the tank, similar symptoms to yours but it would rev without load but under load it wouldn't rev beyond 3000rpm.
                        I don't think the cheap pump could cope with the restriction from the tank

Comment

Do you recon it's worth changing it for a Bosch pump?

Comment

That's what I did got a Bosch one for an astra GTE if I remember right and changed the connections and pipe fittings, the reason being fakenham auto electrics had a sale on and it was £20
                            Before that put a meter on the existing pump

Comment

My local factors quoted me £100 for the Bosch.

Comment

Working...
                              X