Guess what I own :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess what I own :)

Yes its the Austin Montego from Forres in Morayshire basicly just needs a small restoration its got some rust on the surface and underneath but ultimately there's no rust holes anywhere at all its very solid underneath,

And after some tinkering under the bonnet with the ad of a battery booster and fresh fuel and allso spitfire spark plugs I got her running tonight shes a but lumpy but if I very gently play with the throttle it revs up with some mild backfire but I think thats down to the piston in the su carb, The headlining is saggy and theres odd seatbelts been fitted as well at some point but apart from that am one very happy person just now

There's about 6 german shephard stickers on the back windows lol
    Last edited by Craig Anderson; 3rd May 2012, 23:28.
    I have no montego anymore

WOW! That is a 1.6 Base estate, and chuffing rare with it! Don't succumb to the temptation to up-spec it!

The carb - if you can get a gas analyser to help set it up, do so.
    Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
    E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
    H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
    J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
    L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
    OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
    PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Well saved, what a great example to be preserved.
      Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
      VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
      J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

So what I own is very rare then, cool

I dunno what montego to find on how many left.com

http://howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=Austin%20Montego&p=0

It has the original radio and its a 4 speed box with push down reverse and its even on the original cross ply tyres appart from one.

Am allso worried if its needs to be run on 2 star or 4 star cus at the moment I just put jungle juice unleaded straght in the tank as it was bone dry so I hope the valve seats dont start crying under engine load :?

(jungle juice being super unleaded)

New photos in my album allso
        Last edited by Craig Anderson; 1st March 2012, 23:33. Reason: update
        I have no montego anymore

Comment

Cross-ply tyres? How old do you think it is?!?

Also, being a 1600, it'll have been designed to run on 4 Star fuel. There was a low compression 1600 engine for use with 2 Star, but I very much doubt you'll have one of those!

Run it on Unleaded with something like Castrol Valvemaster lead replacement additive and you'll be fine.

Comment

^^^WHS if you plan to use bog standard petrol you need an additive which is both a lead-replacement and an octane-boost. If you use premium petrol eg vpower you only need lead-replacement. The additives are cheap and last ages, something like 5+ lank-fills, maybe more. I can't remember exactly now because it's been a few years since I ran a Maestro which needed additives.
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I'm glad the club was able to assist in this.

Just goes to show, now matter where you are in the country, there is always a maestro or montego enthusiast nearby!

Comment

I like it! cant recall seeing those style head rests in an estate for ages...

are those wheels Maestro ones - put on to replace original Metric rims?

This is something i'll have to look at with my Montego estate as i don't fancy hunting for Metric tyres - which will have probably been sat around too long.
                CURRENT FLEET:
                1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

never seen one green blend of side strips ,cool looking though and looks very clean give it a good wash

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
                    are those wheels Maestro ones - put on to replace original Metric rims?

Yes and no respectively. Montego Bases had 13" wheels as standard.
                    Sam Skelton

PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

I had a blue 1.6 Base estate, and it had metric steels from new.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
                        they look like my mums 1.3 base maestro and i still i think have a set of them in my shed

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                          I had a blue 1.6 Base estate, and it had metric steels from new.

Optional - as were wheel trims when metrics were fitted! (There's a rare square hubcap for the centre of metric wheels fitted to Base cars - the effect is much like an upscaled Metro metric) 13" wheels as shown here were standard on the Base.
                          Sam Skelton

Comment

I probably stand alone but I think those 12-hole steelies were the best-looking steel wheels to ever grace an M&M.
                            Regards
                            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Nope - I entirely agree John

Comment

Working...
                              X