4 to 5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 to 5 speed

I currently have the engine & box out of my 1275 van, while it's out I have put a 5 speed box on but I will I need the gear selector mechanism from a 5 speed??

I have heard that the gate is in the selector not in the gearbox so the 4 speed selector won't have a gate for 5th, correct??

Thanks, Josh.

On the VW box, the gate is in the little shaft that protrudes from the top of the gearbox at the back. With the linkages off it, try moving it side to side and forward/back, and you'll get an idea of how the 'gate' works.

I seem to remember others that have gone 4-speed to 5-speed have needed linkages, because they're possibly the wrong size on the 4-speed. I can't tell you for sure though. Most people who make the change never reveal what they did, or they get fed up part way through the process and go back to 4-speed.

Comment

If changing from 4 to 5 speeds, you'll need the correct linkages to go with your new gearbox. If you use the linkages from the 4spd box, you'll have some gears missing and others not where you would expect to find them!

Comment

Thanks chaps, is there anything else I'm going to need?

Comment

MG MAL has a maestro 1.3 up his barn (weatherby) which is getting broken up which has a 5 speed box in it still complete with all the linkage parts...just pm him...

Comment

I found it quite easy to modify my 4-speed gate to 5-speed use.
            A little sawing, bending and welding.
            Works perfect!
            I did it to the revers interlock side because of LH-drive so the 1-2 gear lever position comes towards the driver but in case of a RHD probably better to do it to the other side on the 3-4limitation plate.
            Of course after installation you need to change the short 4-speed "fastlink" rod for a 5-speed one witch is shorter than the 4-speed type. The long "fastlink" is the same 4- and 5-speed.
            Than you accurate need to re-adjust the long selector/shift rod under the floor.
            Like VanJosh I used a MG 1.6 gearbox but this has a high final drive of 3.65:1
            In combination with 175/70-14 tyres I ended up with a speedo and counter that were around 10% on the negative side.
            Therefore I went to a speciallist in car instrumentation and they can exact mesure what adapter has to be fit in the speedo cable to bring the speedo and counter back to std.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Piggy Bank; 27th July 2012, 18:37. Reason: supplement

Comment

Working...
            X