Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest addition to my "fleet"

I've just bought a Maestro...

Anyone know anything about this car? There is evidence that it has previously been yellow and pink.
    MG ZR, anthracite - sold & gone
    MG Maestro 1600 1.8 S-series track car - will be made road legal for track days
    Montego Turbo - in need of welding to osr arch
    Maestro 1600 VDP - daily drive

Is it race or rally? I notice it has 2 seats, but it could have been converted to track day use from a racer.

If it's from the MGOC championship, the yellow/pink may have been under Nick Golhar's ownership.

I'm almost sure that car was last raced by one of the Jackson brothers in about 2004 or so.

Comment

Some more photos...

Comment

So is that a late MG1600 or a very early digi-dash EFi?
        Either way it's probably very rare.
        Would be nice if something like that could be 'rescued' from a life of racing and restored. Is that your plan?
        Great find though.
        Regards
        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

It's quite possibly the pink car at the front of this image. It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but there's a bit of yellow at the back of the car that you can just see through the windows.

Try scratching some of the white paint off the roll cage. If there's pink underneath, then it's the car in the pic.

John - it's most likely to have been a 1600 car 'converted' to 2-litre EFI. I'd be very surprised if there was still an 'S' series in the front of it (or even more surprised to find an 'R' series)

Actually, I think that car was last owned by 'penelope pitstop'. Let me do some fact checking.
          Attached Files

Comment

MG David will be able to tell me if I'm going in the right direction with this - is it Mr. Jeram-Croft's old car?

Comment

You could be right. The guy that I bought the car from mentioned that it may have been raced as number 14.

The car has an improved S series engine. I was told that that it has race cams, bored out to 1800 and twin Weber 40 DCNF carbs. The roll cage has been modified at some point, with the driver's front cage leg being moved forward. As a consequence the driver's side cross member is now too short, as can be seen in one of the photos.

Comment

Twin Weber 1600 DCNFs are standard for the MG 1600. 1800cc probably means the engine's using +040 pistons, which was a fairly standard thing, and the race cam (just the one) was fairly routine after (I think) 2004.

Your car may also have been this one (Nick Golhar's from 2001):

...or it may just have the bumper off that car. Difficult to know.

Comment

Penelope pitstop's (Mike H) Maestro was definitely broken for spares, some of the parts ended up in my white Monty racer... now sold.
                  I only know Larry J-C had a Montego racer, and moved on to a TR8, sorry not much help.
                  midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

Thanks for filling in the blanks about Mike's racer. I didn't know what happened to it. Not sure it was Larry then. There's a couple of alternatives, Peter Fiddes car being one of them. All depends on what the layer of paint is underneath the white roll cage.

But I'm sure I've seen that car, with that paint job, somewhere recently. Just can't place it.

Comment

Ah what a great find.

If that was mine I'd convert it back to a road-going spec on the cosmetic front and leave the race-spec engine for 'fast-road' use. If its had the full race treatment it should be much quicker than an EFi.

Another car for my list and an S-Series at that. Wow!

Comment

Wasnt Daryl Davis's racer pink for a bit? He was the instigater of the 1800 conversion IIRC. That would explain the engine

Comment

Yep, and I think his car became the pink one of Nick Golhar's above. After that, I don't know what happened to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X