1987 Austin Montego 1.6L - Shantung Gold Two-Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 Austin Montego 1.6L - Shantung Gold Two-Tone

I have decided to offer Shantung Monty for sale. As much as I love the car's colour, styling, character and condition, I simply don't enjoy driving it anywhere near as much as my HL and it seems pointless to hang on to it just to look at it. My 2.0HL is really my ideal Monty (I've long given up trying to find a decent MG Montego that doesn't need a ground up resto) and is booked in for some bodywork later this month therefore now seems as good a time as any to attempt to find it a good home. I am in no hurry to sell, therefore I am determined to wait until a good new owner can be found to cherish and fettle this Montego as it deserves.

Most of you know the story. This Shantung Gold Monty was taken off the road in November 1998 after its MOT test and the car was not used again until I fired it up in June 2010. I hasn't been without its dramas but mechanically it is now all good although the autochoke does not operate and would really benefit from a manual choke being fitted by the next owner.

Bodywise it is almost perfect, which is the main reason I sought to bring the car into enthusiast ownership. The very rare Shantung Gold paintwork is very shiny and looks great. The only area of attention that the bodywork may need in the future is the passenger side rear arch which has had a touch-up at some point and may need a proper repair somewhere down the line. However, the sills, bonnet, front wings, petrol pocket, doors, bootlid, roof etc are all practically perfect.

The interior is caramel cloth and is in excellent condition. There are no cracks to the very rare caramel facsia and the roof lining has just been reupholstered by myself in the proper colour. All the seats and carpets are in brilliant condition.

The car has covered just over 50K miles and has MOT until June 2011 and tax until the end of Nov 2010.

I have spent A LOT of money on this car including purchase price (it was not cheap) and getting it up and running correctly. I am therefore advertising the car at £795.00 or very near offer. You really won't find much better, certainly in this colour combination. If it was a 2.0L, I wouldn't be selling it.

For any interested parties, please PM me to discuss. I have attached some pictures below:
    Attached Files
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

If only this was just after i sold the VP!

Good luck with the sale Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
      (I've long given up trying to find a decent MG Montego that doesn't need a ground up resto)
      Previously-unknown crackers do sometimes appear, such as the red one The Express Valeter bought. But the safest way of finding a goodie is to keep an eye on 'the scene' and watch for existing enthusiasts parting with known good ones. That can often mean watching eBay, Triple-M, MGM Classifieds, Car And Classic, and here, because enthusiasts don't always advertise them on every site. But the effort is worth it
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Shantung is now on the Bay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
        1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Working...
        X