Shantung Gold Monty-Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shantung Gold Monty-Surprise

After recently cutting my losses and parting with two cars that really needed more work than was worth doing, I decided that there was at least room for one more decent Monty in my collection. My mind was cast back to late last year and an advertisement being placed on this very forum for a Shantung Gold Montego with Caramel interior. Like my 2.0HL, I didn't go for it at the time but kind of wished I had. "L"s aren't normally my cup of tea but the condition of this one meant I had to make an exception. I enquired recently and the car was still available.

This morning it arrived on a vehicle transporter and is now looking "hot" on my driveway.

I've thrown a bucket of water over it and will give it a polish when the sun dies down a bit. I've fitted a new battery and after some gentle encouragement, the engine roared into life once more (please note the last tax disc).

The car is remarkably rust free. In fact it may be in better condition than my HL if that is even possible which I thought unlikely!

The interior smells a bit funky, like the original time warp maestro so I'll have to get an air freshener quickly but I am really pleased with it overall.

Its first MOT in 11 years is booked for next Saturday 12th, so that gives me a week to replace wipers, sort engine service, check bulbs etc etc.

Chuffed to bits that I now have two lovely Montys that really have survived the years well and look capable of service for many years to come.

Here's some "as is" pictures for you to feast on...
    Attached Files
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

And more...
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Such a lovely Montego that is, and a caramel interior.

Now get the HL out and get some pics of them together!

Comment

Stephen, just an enquiry - is the 'next car' in your sig the one I think it might be?

Ed - looks lovely. I shan't pretend I wouldn't have traded interiors and chromework with that VP you've just sold (I'd adore a Shantung Gold Vanden Plas) but good on you for getting such a good, unmolested fairly basic model.
        Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
        E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
        H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
        J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
        L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
        OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
        PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Very nice, Ed. Good to see a lowly 'L' having survived so well, and, indeed being preserved. The cooking models are always the first to get worn out with 'normal' use and not many make it this far.

An identical car in similar condition was offered to the Club a couple of years ago, but ended up going to a museum.

Good luck for the MoT!

Comment

Very nice Ed,

Makes me think about sorting out my Pewter G plate 2.0L

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
              Very nice Ed,

Makes me think about sorting out my Pewter G plate 2.0L

Mal.
              is that the metallic grey one Mal?

Comment

Just been studying the old Mot certificates, the latest of which was issued on 20th November 1998, when the mileage was recorded as 50,799. The mileage on the clock today is 50,800! Incredible.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Looks great!
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
                      Stephen, just an enquiry - is the 'next car' in your sig the one I think it might be?

Ed - looks lovely. I shan't pretend I wouldn't have traded interiors and chromework with that VP you've just sold (I'd adore a Shantung Gold Vanden Plas) but good on you for getting such a good, unmolested fairly basic model.
                      The one you did some work on, Getting the VP ready for Sale this week

Comment

Right... An eventful day you could say. The car started today as a runner but now it is not (see the thread on Montego Technical Help).

That aside, I have flushed out the old muddy coolant and replaced with fresh coolant. Replaced a couple of perished fuel hoses, made a temporary repair for the breather system due to perished T and L connectors (can anyone suggest an alternative to the ARG originals as I have never been able to find any), replaced the wiper blades, unblocked the washer jets, checked all seatbelts and bulbs, unblocked the front bulkhead sunroof drain holes and cleared out all four wheelarches of debris, and I only have the roof and bootlid left to polish.

Hopefully my starting/running problem will be sorted soon as MOT is looming on Saturday.

Comment

Yep the metallic grey one Ed.

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                            Yep the metallic grey one Ed.

Mal.
                            Ooh yes, I like that one!