Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR/Rover advertising late 1980s

Dear All

Am I right in thinking that when the Rover 200/400 cars came along, Austin Rover/Rover stopped advertising the MG Maestro & MG Montego? (I am not including the Turbo versions of either car in this question)

Apart from the "Golf will be along in a second" ad I can't find anything beyond about 1986

Cheers

Andrew

The 2nd generation 200 didn't emerge till 1989 so there must have been something after 86. Pretty sure the Russ Swift Montego add featured D or E reg cars.
    The 200/400 range was supposed to have replaced the Maestro and Montego.

Comment

"The Golf GTi will be along in a Second" advert was first used in the late summer of 1988 on a Targa Red MG Maestro 2.0i. This was changed to a Flame Red colour 1989 Model Year example with prototype lattice wheels (check the shape of the holes in the centre of the wheels for accepting the wheel nuts to confirm this) in late October 1988. This latter advert was re-used in a single page, portrait style in the late summer/early autumn of 1989 where it wore a photo issue G registration.

Any adverts that appeared after this date would have been as a consequence of dealer rather than manufacturer funded advertising. As you say, from late 1989, the focus was very much focused on the Rover marque, particularly with the R8 200 and 400 Series.

The following link should provide some indication when the various straplines used in MG Maestro EFi/2.0i first appeared: http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/ar-c...estro-2-0-efi/
      Last edited by David3500; 13th December 2014, 20:38.

Comment

Maestro advertising

Thanks for that info David

Andrew

Comment

Working...
        X