No announcement yet.

The Classic Motor Show at the NEC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was there on the Saturday, but also failed to find the club stand! The crowds might have had something to do with it though.
    Last edited by Richard H; 22nd November 2014, 09:57.
    1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

Comment

Tanya this sounds great. I often feel I have missed things as I wasn't on the Facebook page for ages. I know it's hard work so well done for stepping up. Being up in Scotland I don't get to as many of the big shows as I would like but will try harder next year. Happy to help out if I can from afar.

Also if there is any interest in setting up more of a presence up north I'd be happy to help. There are some great shows up here!
      1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
      1989 BMW 316i
      2013 BMW 320d Touring
      2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

thank you tanya keeping up all the good work.its nice to hear and see all the things you are doing for the club

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
          Ah but problems if one drop of rain is going to drop
          Correct Jeff, that is the only problem lol!!

There is a classic car show at Chatham Historic Dockyard in the Spring sometime (annually). As this is just down the road from me I would be happy to try & organise something there for next year if desired. I believe it is well attended & not one MM was there this year. Also in Mid Summer there is a Classic Car show on Herne Bay Sea Front. Pretty sure it clashes with Silverstone though my mate went to it & it spread the entire length of the sea front. Again no MM cars were there!!

Obviously some Maestro & Montego banner/literature etc would be useful.
          Last edited by The Express Valeter; 22nd November 2014, 18:32.

Comment

Thank you everyone! :-)

Thank you very much for some of your thoughts on events and offers of help. I'll go and start a separate thread for those in a minute, but it looks like we should be able to join in some good events next year. It will be great to meet more members and see your cars

Anyway, finally (sorry for the delay), is a small write up and a few of my not very good photos from the show. The NEC lighting makes taking decent photos a real challenge.

Montego couldn't have had a better 30th Birthday year. Having Nicolette McKenzie with us in April at Cowley and then Russ Swift at the NEC celebrations - what could be better! Well, I tell you what, Russ coming to the M&MOC's stand to cut our cake and telling us that he's only gone and bought a Montego! Yes, Russ has joined the ranks of the Montego ownership! And it just gets better. Russ and his wife are keen to recreate the Montego advert - how fantastic would that be!

We were also very lucky to be joined by Denis Chick who was instrumental in Montego's launch. Both Russ and Denis have been given honorary membership of the club.

Russ has given this interview - http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/even...alks-aronline/

Montegos on the stand

Comment

Some of the M&MOC committee with Russ and his wife

Russ!

Russ and Denis cutting the cake

The cake

Three committee members dressed as Tetris pieces, and inadvertently spelling the word 'oil'! Tetris turned 30 this year, along with Montego. Tetris is bold and bright, so useful to try and help the M&MOC stand, stand out a little.

I got dragged in to do the Motormind Quiz for the club. I know I wasn't asked for my knowledge (I can only do BLARG!), but for my entertainment value. I managed to get one question out of the 12 correct, but did say Maestro & Montego lots of times and direct everyone to our stand. Quentin didn't stand much of a chance with me, but we had a laugh and the organiser asked me to do it the following day if they were short of people as I lightened up the quiz. A sort of compliment I guess!

A Vanden Plas Montego on the Vanden Plas stand

Comment

Double post
                Last edited by Tanya; 23rd November 2014, 23:07.

Comment

My car certainly isn't as clean now after driving in the rain and mud to the montego graveyard to see David
                  The red VP is Malcolms car who is a club member
                  1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                  1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                  1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                  2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                  2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                  2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Last few pics

Montgomery with his previous owner who restored him. Believe it or not, he was really pleased to see him. Smile Martin, blinking smile will you!

When a Countryman comes into its own. These kids got out asking their dad to get a Montego Countryman - result!

A couple of serving Police Officers dropped by and gave us this photo. They have plenty more in their achieve which they are going to pass on to the club

Comment

look at them steel wheels , shocking
                      Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

Originally posted by normanmg2000 View Post
                        Tanya ,with my [very] limited, know how, and computer ability what I do is therefore limited, however through a member Rob Tyrell [on the Wirral] we attended the Standard Triumph day, [again on the Wirral] , as Rob had been requested to try and get our club to attend, if it hadn't been for Steve Worseley who managed to get the clubs banner ,no one would have known who we were, i would be more than happy to attend more events, but I don't think we have the regalia , [at the moment] to spread out as it were. When Oli has sorted the merchandise side ,we will be better placed, and better dressed. Agree with David that we need to post more advertising, sad to hear about MGM, which I was a member, some people are natural organisers ,you are one of them, and Richard Gelder / Oli , Simon, Linda are first class and excellent too, i will help in anyway I can next year [north of England ,preferred ], ,i think if David could be persuaded,[sorry David ] to supply his expertise, etc, we could be on our way. I attended the A G M at Gaydon good turn out ,many thanks to our committee.

I am happy to provide any advice or guidance to help the club, particularly given the recent demise of the MG M Group has highlighted an even more pressing need to provide ongoing support to owners and enthusiasts of the M models.

Publicity is my main area of 'expertise' - I work as a freelance motoring writer - so I could write any editorial material to supply to various media outlets. I undertake a similar voluntary 'press officer' role for theBRM.co.uk when they put on a display of 200 BRM LEs at the annual Classic Motor Show.

However, I would definitely not be looking to take on a committee role. Nothing against the MMOC, but I did have my fingers 'badly burnt' a number of years ago when I was actively involved in a regional club for another car club, so am always reluctant to become involved at committee level.

Please feel free to ask if you need any advice, Tanya.

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by David3500 View Post
                          I am happy to provide any advice or guidance to help the club, particularly given the recent demise of the MG M Group has highlighted an even more pressing need to provide ongoing support to owners and enthusiasts of the M models.

Publicity is my main area of 'expertise' - I work as a freelance motoring writer - so I could write any editorial material to supply to various media outlets. I undertake a similar voluntary 'press officer' role for theBRM.co.uk when they put on a display of 200 BRM LEs at the annual Classic Motor Show.

However, I would definitely not be looking to take on a committee role. Nothing against the MMOC, but I did have my fingers 'badly burnt' a number of years ago when I was actively involved in a regional club for another car club, so am always reluctant to become involved at committee level.

Please feel free to ask if you need any advice, Tanya.
                          David, that's great - thank you very much! We have a committee meeting this weekend and on the agenda we have Publicity Officer, as we don't have one. If you were able to support a committee member with publicity for the club, that would be fantastic. I'll get back to you next week

Comment

Working...
                          X