My MG Turbo *70* restoration and performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=315711945283109
    If this doesn't work, go on the facebook page and I've uploaded it up on there, thanks, jake

Comment

Working now Jake - very good - just keep going. Are you working on her outdoors?

cheers

mike...

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

I am yes, the sill is on and that side apart from the rear quarter is now finished, I am using the car ATM, hopefully I can get one err quarter on next weekend

Comment

Hiya all, sorry for the no progress reports... Been rushed around lately, I'll upload my pics this weekend once I can spare 10 mins and I'll show where I am currently with my turbo. I have a garrett gt35r ceramic ball bearing coming in the post (not cheap :/) I also have a mega squirt 2 ecu kit coming now too, I'm going to be running coil on plug set up with fully sequential injection, 750cc injectors.. This all should push the o series to around 450-500bhp if my calculations are right
          This is ample power for the moment until I can afford the engine upgrades to push her to the 1000bhp target!

Comment

Originally posted by mg turbo *70* View Post
            Hiya all, sorry for the no progress reports... Been rushed around lately, I'll upload my pics this weekend once I can spare 10 mins and I'll show where I am currently with my turbo. I have a garrett gt35r ceramic ball bearing coming in the post (not cheap :/) I also have a mega squirt 2 ecu kit coming now too, I'm going to be running coil on plug set up with fully sequential injection, 750cc injectors.. This all should push the o series to around 450-500bhp if my calculations are right
            This is ample power for the moment until I can afford the engine upgrades to push her to the 1000bhp target!
            If the gt35r takes it's time to spool (as it's an ar63 turbine and ar70 comp) I'll set up a twin turbo setup now but if it spools we'll then I'll most proberly use this turbo for the early spoiler on a 1000bhp setup later on next year.

Comment

Hi Jake again - you'll be in new territory if you can get that lot to work reliably. I suggest you speak with team78 chaps regarding the power output of the O-series at those power levels your quoting. These guys put a lot of development work into their race engine with a proven 405bhp - torque was much higher if I remember correctly? The O-series is overly square - it doesn't rev too well - torque is always higher than hp - things will break. Not trying put you off - I just hope you seek proper advice before you spend your money if you haven't already done so? I say go for it...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brock View Post
                Hi Jake again - you'll be in new territory if you can get that lot to work reliably. I suggest you speak with team78 chaps regarding the power output of the O-series at those power levels your quoting. These guys put a lot of development work into their race engine with a proven 405bhp - torque was much higher if I remember correctly? The O-series is overly square - it doesn't rev too well - torque is always higher than hp - things will break. Not trying put you off - I just hope you seek proper advice before you spend your money if you haven't already done so? I say go for it...
                Hiya mate, yeah I was actually wondering what they did to there o series bottom end to make it strong enough for this much power. For around 500bhp I'm going to be balancing the lower end and blue printing the entire engine, also I'm thinking of forged low comp pistons but I'm having trouble finding some ATM without paying mad prices as these internals are all going to be replaced by billet and forged items in the future for more power but I'd like a reasonably reliable engine at 500bhp for now. The crank is standard forged anyway on an o series as it is on a prima. Rods in an o series are cold forged from a cast piece. Pistons are forged in an I series turbo and in a prima. Obviously the metals used can be made much better in an performance engine hence what I'll be doing but as standard engines go these do seen to be a solid lump... I think the crank and rods should be okay with this power, it's the pistons I have concern with tbh

Comment

I will also add, not only am I going to be using arp head studs with spacers for the centre bolts to equal them out but I'm also looking into having a multi-layered stainless steel head gasket made for the o series, I just need to supply the company an new turbo gasket for them to copy sizes from etc. cheers, jake

Comment

The Bi-Metal Head Gasket that Ferriday Engineering make get good reviews on other forums I use. They have copies of the O-series head gaskets on file. Ask them to open up the slot in the head gasket between head bolts 4-8 at the front of engine - distributor side. This mod doubles cooling around head. Have you spoken with a JE forged piston suppliers in UK? AVA in Glasgow built my engine but I don't know where they got those pistons from?

cheers

mike...

Comment

The Bi-Metal Head Gasket that Ferriday Engineering make get good reviews on other forums I use. They have copies of the O-series head gaskets on file. Ask them to open up the slot in the head gasket between head bolts 4-8 at the front of engine - distributor side. This mod doubles cooling around head. Have you spoken with a JE forged piston suppliers in UK? AVA in Glasgow built my engine but I don't know where they got those pistons from?

cheers

mike...
                      Oh right, I didn't know they already made an up rates gasket for the o series? Are you using a multi layered steel gasket?
                      And yes I'll ring je but I think their pistons are for the m series as it's states rover 220 aswell and in their pics, the piston looks to have valve cut outs for 16v? Cheers,
                      Jake

Comment

No Jake - just original gasket with wire rung block. My engine is compromised in so many areas I'd be happy with anything over 280+hp realistically - so that type of gasket is not necessary. Look on youtube at the 2014 FWD Drag Series championship and see engine specs etc. as I presume this what your trying to do? I'd try and speak with Andy Nicholls too. I think my JE pistons are M series but don't quote me?

cheers

mike...

Comment

Oh okay fair enough, are you not aiming for 300+ anymore then? Why is it so compromised then?

Comment

Originally posted by mg turbo *70* View Post
                            Oh okay fair enough, are you not aiming for 300+ anymore then? Why is it so compromised then?
                            Hi Jake - it has carburetors and will always be a compromise over fuel injection. Ignition system ecu flat lines if you throw big boost at it - at which point it does that I'm not too sure? The induction dynamics of the twincharged system will never be as good as a pure supercharged set up - and like wise with a pure turbocharged system. Yes I will be going for 300+ - but not holding my breath. Dave Walker of Emerald might be able help regarding an ecu - but its just all talk at the moment.

cheers

mike...

Comment

Hiya mate, yes this is true, fuel injection is the way forward. But I see you have a twin carb setup with what I presume are on boost extra fuelling injectors? Ifso this will most probably have enough fuelling for around 350bhp I'd say depending what size this injectors are. Also one major factor is... Are you using the standard ignition system. Ifso I think you'll suffer from what is know as spark blow out. If I ran 25psi of boost I suffered this on my standard ignition system even though it had updated leads and coil and plugs etc. a cheap and effective way to get round this is to buy a new rotor arm and dig out it's resistor and replace it with a piece of wire, this will allow the full shock of the coil to reach the plug and mine was fine after that but be aware that I've heard it can knock a 1/4 of the coils life out but I think it changes how it runs so well worth it. Another way but not the best way is called wasted spark but you'd need an ecu to control this.. I'm going down the modern option using the I dependant coil per plug setup ( as of yet I have not seen this done on a o series )
                              I'm going to be using updated racing red coils from an audi turbo so I should never suffer spark blow out. I thought you meant your engine itself was compromised? Meaning weak? Cheers,
                              Jake...

Comment

Hi Jake - it has carburetors and will always be a compromise over fuel injection. Ignition system ecu flat lines if you throw big boost at it - at which point it does that I'm not too sure? The induction dynamics of the twincharged system will never be as good as a pure supercharged set up - and like wise with a pure turbocharged system. Yes I will be going for 300+ - but not holding my breath. Dave Walker of Emerald might be able help regarding an ecu - but its just all talk at the moment.

cheers

mike...
                                Ecu starts to flat line from 22-25psi I'd say but is drivable on 30psi but you can feel it holding back on it's advance in the higher rev range

Comment

Working...
                                X