My MG Turbo *70* restoration and performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My MG Turbo *70* restoration and performance

Hiya all and welcome to my thread. As you can all properly guess by the title, its about me restoring my mg maestro turbo *70* to its former glory (like new) only to be tuned heavily. You may all remember the crazy guy (i.e. me) talking about wanting to get 1000 bhp from my o-series unit lol... well its time to crack on.
    body work first of course! I bought my car a couple years back from Daveyboi and tbh i thought it was a good deal as the car was in pretty good condition compare to other cars like old fords of its age in terms of rust. I must state its only worse because of how far i am going with the repairs so hopefully you lot will like what i post over the next few months...

here is the first lot of pictures (I am a bit further ahead than this now but i will post more pictures up later...
    Last edited by mg turbo *70*; 10th August 2014, 15:18.

first picture
    Attached Files

Comment

the interior gutted! b-post corrosion after some nasty bodges which lead to further corrosion under the paint/filler
      Attached Files

Comment

Common Area for rust seen lot worse than that in the past
        MG Maestro turbo 437
        367 Bhp

Comment

Yes common rot point. Not too hard to sort it out though.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I'll be restoring my Turbo shortly. Looks like we've got similar work to do, although I must admit yours looks a bit worse than mine. I'd be great to see plenty of photos as you go. Where are you located?

Cheers,

Ian
            Ian Drew
            MG Maestro Turbo '400'
            MG ZT V8
            Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

All braced up as so the sill and other infected areas can be removed without the car shell distorting.
              Attached Files

Comment

showing more areas of the bracing in place and the rear end of the sill being cut out...
                Attached Files

Comment

hi Charlie and Dan, yes it is a common place to rot and easy to sort out however i am after some b post panels cut off a good shell if anyone could point me in the right direction... i am repairing these for now and tacking them on but i want a perfect shape ect.. cheers, jake.

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
                    I'll be restoring my Turbo shortly. Looks like we've got similar work to do, although I must admit yours looks a bit worse than mine. I'd be great to see plenty of photos as you go. Where are you located?

Cheers,

Ian
                    i am in east Sussex mate and yeah it looks worse than it really is for an 25 year old car! i have never seen something like a cos-worth in this condition lol they are usually a pile of dust! aha and don't you worry i have lots of pictures to put up! lol

Comment

i am aiming for absolute perfection on my car as i think it deserves it so i hope i can do it justice! some more metal cut out!

notice how i have welded the frame work to the inner sill and not the b post... this is because the b post is welder over the outer sill and so in order to allow me to replace every last bit the the outer sill, i need to be able to have the b post separate from the inner sill eventually. all will become clear..
                      Attached Files

Comment

you have your work cut for you there (sorry for the pun) am sure i seen maestro sill's on ebay few days ago.
                        MG Maestro turbo 437
                        367 Bhp

Comment

Coming along great Jake, keep the progress and pictures rolling

Comment

Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
                            you have your work cut for you there (sorry for the pun) am sure i seen maestro sill's on ebay few days ago.
                            lolol
                            i have a sill... will put the rest of my progress and pics up now...

Comment

That's a great thread, good luck and keep the pictures coming.....

Ian
                              Ian Drew
                              MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                              MG ZT V8
                              Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Working...
                              X