My MG Turbo *70* restoration and performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mg turbo *70* View Post
    Ecu starts to flat line from 22-25psi I'd say but is drivable on 30psi but you can feel it holding back on it's advance in the higher rev range
    Surely though, a standard ecu must only run on a variable basic transitory diode setup so it's more than likely possible to open it up and extend it's algorithms as such, I've often thought about trying this on mine but in the end just think that the cdi kit I have is much better suited to my rave engine.

Comment

Originally posted by mg turbo *70* View Post
      Surely though, a standard ecu must only run on a variable basic transitory diode setup so it's more than likely possible to open it up and extend it's algorithms as such, I've often thought about trying this on mine but in the end just think that the cdi kit I have is much better suited to my rave engine.
      I remember years ago I installed a variable resistor in line with the map sensor to basically fool the ecu it was boosting less than it was effectively giving more ignition advance. The knock sensor was disconnected also. Avgas was used to stop the engine from pinking but this setup wasn't sustainable in a road car although it was interesting to drive. Not recommend !!!

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brock View Post
        I remember years ago I installed a variable resistor in line with the map sensor to basically fool the ecu it was boosting less than it was effectively giving more ignition advance. The knock sensor was disconnected also. Avgas was used to stop the engine from pinking but this setup wasn't sustainable in a road car although it was interesting to drive. Not recommend !!!
        Yh that would work as short term I'd thought. I bet it was very interesting! Lol

Comment

Have you considered getting the original ECU remapped/chipped. I believe this is possible although I've yet to see anyone actually do it.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

i did think of this but for my perposes (going fuel injection etc) it doesnt suit my needs and in my eyes its never going to be a good as a mappable ecu but yes not bad for the cheap aspect.
            jake.

Comment

Spoke with Dave Walker again after he asked me to photo the connections of the ignition ecu of my maestro turbo - which I did. This is what he advised to do.....

>>Hi Mike

Our K6 ECU uses a different plug and has a lot more pins. The only way forward would be to have a flying lead loom and re-wire it from scratch. Then you have to add a throttle pot to the butterfly spindle and wire in a Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor. This then allows you to map the fuel and ignition to suit the engine requirements.

Regards,

Dave<<

The K6 Emerald ECU on a 8v o-series maestro means I don't need the MF2 driver.

cheers

mike...

Comment

Spoke with Dave Walker again after he asked me to photo the connections of the ignition ecu of my maestro turbo - which I did. This is what he advised to do.....

>>Hi Mike

Our K6 ECU uses a different plug and has a lot more pins. The only way forward would be to have a flying lead loom and re-wire it from scratch. Then you have to add a throttle pot to the butterfly spindle and wire in a Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor. This then allows you to map the fuel and ignition to suit the engine requirements.

Regards,

Dave<<

The K6 Emerald ECU on a 8v o-series maestro means I don't need the MF2 driver.

cheers

mike...
                Yeah a different ecu is the way forward.... Is yours a standalone ecu or an add on?
                Regards... Jake

Comment

Hi Jake - it's currently stock at the moment. Emerald K6 ECU is a stand alone system.

cheers

mike...

Comment

Hi Jake - it's currently stock at the moment. Emerald K6 ECU is a stand alone system.

cheers

mike...
                    Sounds great though mate! I've heard it's a great ecu too! Should have an interesting car there once done to say the least. What's the body like on your car Mike? Mint?
                    Btw.. I will be updating the progress on this thread after a long wait on Sunday once I grab a spare hour or so for anyone who is interested! Cheers, jake.

Comment

I run K6 Ecu on my maestro, ordered direct from emerald came with plug and wiring diagram, wasn't hard to wire up once I worked it out
                      MG Maestro turbo 437
                      367 Bhp

Comment

Hmm yh it has very good read ups. I'm going to be running a Megasquirt 2... Partly because I can build it but mainly so I can run coil per plug and fully sequential injection
                        Cheers, jake

Comment

Hi Jake - passenger front door needs work - fuel pocket was gone but sorted now. Rest of the car is fine but I'm going to get it painted - eventually.

Hi Peter - it's more involved wiring in the K6 ecu in o-series turbo. It needs a new engine wiring loom with necessary sensors etc. Dave Walker will do all the work for me - beyond my capabilities for sure. Its going to cost £1500 for a turn key solution inc RR time.

cheers

mike...

Comment

heater pipes

Hi are you still thinking of making the heater pipes. Cheers Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X