reduced congestion on dual carriageways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reduced congestion on dual carriageways

Started a petition to stop lorries using the second lane on dual carrigeways and two lane motorways, sorry if there are any lorry drivers on here but it may make your employers all set speed limiters to the same speed.
    Anyway please sign and pass on

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/72688

Russ,
    As of April next year, they are increasing the speed limit of all heavy goods (over 7.5T) to 50 mph on A roads!.

As for limiting all trucks to same speed, unlikely to happen as some are limited due to EU rules, others for supposed "Economy".

And by the sound of it, the Govt is also looking at removing the enforced EU 56mph limiters for when on motorways and restoring the orignial 60mph for trucks.

Comment

Sorry Russ, that is a ridiculous idea, I have seen it in use on 2 lane motorways in Italy and you end up with a line of HGVs in the inside lane all doing 50 because "Tesco" are being "thoughtful" limiting their trucks to 50 while in the outside lane every one is doing 55 as "Fred" with his caravan is too scared to go faster.

My truck is limited to 56mph on the speedo but appears to have slightly faster top speed than most so I get frustrated even on 3 lane motorways when Tesco is doing 50 in the inside lane and Waitrose is doing 55 in the middle lane.

However when I have a full load of 13 tonnes of concrete blocks (so I am pulling the best part of 26 tonnes) my lorry is quite slow accelerating. It is even worse with our wagon and drags. I would hate to be holding someone else up due to your ill thought idea.

At the end of the day there are no lorries on the road for the fun of it, they are all there trying to do a job and to do that job as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

It is no better an idea than saying cars under 1300 cc can only use the inside lane or maybe caravans......

You are quite welcome to sit in my passenger seat for a day to see what a silly idea it is.

Comment

Working...
      X