List of remaining Tickford Turbos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Gary stayed in NZ.

A2 is still around and is owned by another Triple-M contributor called Chris. As well as A2 he also owns a Montego 6R4 prototype (yes you read that right).

Martin & Jackie had four MG Maestro Turbos at one point, one in each colour. The white and green ones were T16 converted (by Roger Parker). The white one is still around and owned by yet another occasional Triple-M contributor who's in the process of restoring it after it incurred a front-end shunt. The black one was one of the four press cars. It was sold by Martin to someone who restored it to showroom condition. I remember it being up for sale about two years ago at a very hefty £5k: no idea if it ever sold.

As for Martin & Jackie's red one...hmmm...wonder where that went?
    Last edited by G51 NAV; 18th February 2009, 20:21. Reason: must learn to spell
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Thanks for the update! How things have changed. Its funny how people change over the years. I think the re-introduction of the MG saloons made more and more of us get distracted from the Triple Ms. I was one. However in the last 12 months my enthusiasm for the Ms has returned quite strongly. Not sure why. There is definitely something about the Montego and Maestro that is some how lacking in the Zeds. Character? not sure. I love my ZTT but even driving my montego turbo as it is now seems more ........ at home? Maybe more of the original members will return? May find it difficult now though with just a handful of cars to choose from!
      sigpic
      63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
      'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
      '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
      '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
      'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
      '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
      'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

I noticed there was a lack of blue ones in the list .
        Sure & steadfast.
        BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
        1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Not a popular colour,blue..... red ones were better....
          1991 MG Rover Montego Turbo A8 OGE(BORED WITH IT)
          1994 Rover Montego Countryman M444ALP (SOLD)
          1997 Peugeot 806 roland garros (AT LAST,A DECENT MOTOR!!)

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
            I noticed there was a lack of blue ones in the list .
            Probably because they never did them in blue.
            Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
            VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
            J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

As an attempt to pay a little respect I bought the corresponding pewter model complete with ID card. Are these all sold now? As I recall, Martin commissioned 505 of these models to be made - are these all still in existence!
              Interesting discussion. Whilst I cannot be 100% certain on this, I doubt Martin Woods had 505 MG Maestro Turbo pewter models made - even at the time many cars had perished and quite a small percentage of owners would have bought one. I suspect Martin bought some models - you can still buy them from a company called Autosculpt - and then produced the little certificates for them as he received orders.

I now look after the regalia for the MG 'M' Group and have done for several years. Due to popular demand, I re-introduced some of the items that Martin had sold and added a load more items, but I have never had any requests for those models - presumably because they are readily available on eBay.

If you are interested, it's all over on www.mgmgroup.org.uk in the Club Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                As for Martin & Jackie's red one...hmmm...wonder where that went?
                Martin had two red ones. The first one, number 31, is still alive and owned by an MG 'M' Group member who doesn't use the internet forums.

Comment

Ah, maybe Martin was just having the cards made to order, but I'm sure it was published in forward that 505 were being made. Maybe if you are still in contact with Martin, he will remember? I still have the one from the breakers in my display! Could be that the ones on ebay are the other 300ish that are no longer on the road or owners unaware and so didn't sell thro the club?
                  sigpic

Comment

The ones on the internet are invariably only the smaller ones (1/72 I think).

I bought two of Martin's larger models: one I left as standard and one I painted up as a mini replica of my car #502:

Regards
                    John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
                      Martin had two red ones. The first one, number 31, is still alive and owned by an MG 'M' Group member who doesn't use the internet forums.
                      Yes but I was specifically referring to the time when he and Jackie owned four turbos all at the same time, 99/00 ish. He'd already sold #31 by then.
                      Regards
                      John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Yes your right. There were two scales made, but the smaller ones did not come with an ID card. Only the larger ones had a card and I'm certain now that Martin had commissioned 505 of these. The ones on ebay must be the non-club member and scrapped cars.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumturbo View Post
                          Yes your right. There were two scales made, but the smaller ones did not come with an ID card. Only the larger ones had a card and I'm certain now that Martin had commissioned 505 of these. The ones on ebay must be the non-club member and scrapped cars.
                          What it probably said in Forward would that they would be limited to 505 - ie no more than that would be made. I would be very surprised if Martin had 505 made as it would have cost thousands of pounds and would have left hundreds unsold.

Comment

I've got 2 small ones and one large one (ooooh err) say in my bookcase at the moment. All bought direct form autosculpt.
                            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                              You'd have to actually know the Monty Turbo registrations in the first instance. There's also the little matter that there were 7,276 of them, so it would take quite a bit longer checking those than the 505 Maestro ones...
                              What i want to know(perhaps will never know) is how many Monty Turbos were sold FROM the launch of the Maestro Turbo -did they sell more or less than the 505 Maestros? - i suspect at most a 1000 would be optimistic?
                              Bob Ross, a man who makes Whispering Bob Harris sound like Fearne Cotton trapped on a malfunctioning rollercoaster

Comment

Yes, I've always wondered on similar lines. I think a year before the Maestro Turbo was launched, summer 88, was when the face lifted MG Montego was launched ( cross spoke alloys, ERIC ECU etc). I think that these cars might well have been produced at a similar rate as the Maestro Turbos, so maybe about 1000 produced? I've got a feeling that the Montego Turbos, post summer 88, are probably now rarer than the Maestro Turbos. Because the Montego Turbos were, overall, produced in much larger numbers, they weren't as sought after. ( and still aren't). I don't think people realise just how rare they are now.
                                Last edited by Jumturbo; 21st February 2009, 19:06.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X