Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a laugh?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Montego...item27eb9576cc

Bit of a waste of money for the eBay insertion fee. I mean, its not even cleaned!
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

I agree, this is definitely not the best way to try and sell a car.

I often smile when I see photos accompanying a private sale advert where the owner has gone to great lengths to clean the car, only to photograph it with a pool of water and even soap suds showing on the ground. It looks as if they have made the effort to clean the car just for the photos rather than it always being clean. It comes across as rather sloppy in my eyes and makes me wonder whether the seller has been sloppy in other areas concerning his/her car.

It is usually far easier to clean a car and then move it at least a car length's away from that spot to photograph it. But most people don't.

Comment

Do you think he put an extra zero on by mistake?

Comment

It does'nt even state if the car has an MOT or tax, it certainly does'nt look like it.
        I honestly can't believe how someone would try to sell a Montego in this way with this sort of asking price to start with.

Comment

I had a text message from the father of the guy who listed the car a few days ago. Turns out I knew the car as a local one. I used to see it parked outside a hairdressers & an elderly couple had it but not seen it for some while so assumed it failed an MOT & was scrapped. Drove past that hairdressers on the same day as I got the text oddly. My number was given to him by one of his customers who knows me apparently & I was asked my opinion of this car. As soon as I found out it was in Rochester & was black (under the dust) I said to the guy on the phone that I thought I knew the car.
          He was given the car by the elderly couple who had to give up driving in 2011 due to ill health which explains why I hadn't seen it.

I spoke to the seller & went to view it right away as it is only around 10 minutes away from me. It is a good very solid car but will need work around the rear window especially at the bottom. The o/s front wing needs attention at the bottom or possibly replacing, other than that there are only a few slight blemishes here and there. The headlining has gone South as usual but apart from some mud on the front carpets the interior is virtually perfect. It even has a period Pihrana alarm.

It will need 4 tyres as he knows & he intends to MOT the car & do the necessary recommisioning.
          Not sure why the son has put that price on it as I questioned that in a text I sent him this afternoon.
          I do know a classic car dealer a while back offered him £1000 as it is & then this week upped it to £1500 & apparently another local guy offered £1500 today.
          £2000 or whatever the tyres & MOT work cost will get the car I am sure. I told him that it will need normal major service, brake & coolant fluids, check & replace brake componants etc & obviously the tyres.
          He knows the car is rare & I can see with a decent valet alone it will look very nice. I think it has had sills replaced at some point as you can't see the joins where the rear arches meet them.

Hope this helps

Comment

Really?

This has to be a **** take? Why would you not wash it at least?
            1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
            1989 BMW 316i
            2013 BMW 320d Touring
            2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by seacow View Post

This has to be a **** take? Why would you not wash it at least?
              Andy you're obviously getting old.....

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=20494

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
              Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
              Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

Threads merged and in eBay links forum.

Comment

Ive spoken to him too, 4k he wants, 1500 and id have bought it! And 4k it doesn't get an MOT either!

Comment

He did mention to me about washing and decided not to as in a way the dust is preventing any other contaminents getting on the paintwork. I said it is probably better to leave as it is as Montego's don't like water so the less you put on it the better especially if it is staying in the garage to get more dust lol.
                    However this was before I knew the son was going to list it on fleabay!

Comment

It's like the good old saying "it's worth what someone is willing to pay" my own thoughts it's worth £2500 to £3000 if in really good condition, be nice if turbo version, I do like the later spec models all colour coded.
                      Let's hope we see it next year at car show nice and clean
                      MG Maestro turbo 437
                      367 Bhp

Comment

All cleaned, painted, any damaged trim etc replaced, recommisioned etc thoroughly could get £5K. He texted me to say he has an offer of £3K and one of £4K. I just replied don't take any offer seriously till you have the money in your hands.

Sill if he does get £4K for it I will have to revalue mine and it will bode well for values in general.

Comment

An offer is exactly that, and the offer is based on this car being pristine like the advert states, which according to Andy is not, id like to buy this one, but im sorry 1500-2k is the max id want to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by macca666 View Post
                            Andy you're obviously getting old.....

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=20494
                            More like drunk and tired. Ok yes and old!!!
                            1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                            1989 BMW 316i
                            2013 BMW 320d Touring
                            2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
                            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Guy is deluded listing an unmot'ed unwashed montego for £5500. It will be quite funny watching him waste his ebay insertion fee's though until he finally stops being greedy

I know prices have increased but just for comparison I sold a black K reg MG montego in similar condition (with no tax or mot) for £150 on ebay in 2006. Now people think they can ask thousands for some reason?

Comment

Working...
                              X