"Tough 'o' the Track" 1.6 HL Auto Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Not sure on price at the moment, due to still spending on it.

It's a rare survivor for an estate, especially the model.

I'm hoping to keep the total expenditure to below a grand, to ensure it's still affordable to those interested in these cars.

Due to it having been originally on "Metric" wheels and tyre's,and having lost them over the years, the new owner will have the option of wheel fitment.

14" steel wheels.

14" "Toast rack/cheesegraitor" Alloy wheels
    (usable, but needing work/refurbishment)

15" MG X-spoke/Lattice wheels.
    (usable, but needing work/refurbishment)

All will have legal tyre's of course.

Mal.

Comment

Update:

Locking wheel nuts removed (Via big drill) Horrible things that were fitted gave no other choice!

New studs fitted and replacement nuts supplied.

Rear of both sills pro repaired: with new sections to lower front of rear outer wheel arch's.
      (outer lower/inner lower and underneath)

New full "front to back" hand brake cable set fitted.

Replacement wheels and good tyre's fitted for MOT.

Needs either temp sender replacing or new fuel ecu.

With luck a fresh MOT next week.

Another cracking job done by Ricky @ Thames Tyre's (Slough)

"Recovered by Jeff" head liner fitted.

He won't look "Pretty", but he is now "Solid and Safe".
      Last edited by MG MAL; 5th May 2014, 21:24.

Comment

Good job Mal, well done.
        1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Getting them fixed and tested is the easy part Ed.

It's finding some one willing to carry on with the shiny side of things who will actually buy it.

It's look's don't do it any favour's up close, as previously it has had red primer sprayed along the sills, rust patch on the hatch and other bits.

Makes for a horrible sight!.

I will endeavor to remove as much as possible without further damage to paint etc, but I will not be re painting the car!.

Comment

It will still be a perfect basis for a light restoration project for someone. All the hard graft with be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
              It will still be a perfect basis for a light restoration project for someone. All the hard graft with be done.
              Very true Ed.

But the hard graft is what cost's.

I have had some limited interest in it since it arrived, but as soon as I mentioned the max budget for it to be recommissioned (1000.00) all interest vanished.

Likely many already have enough in "their stable", and it's not the "Uber desirable" TD/ GTI / Countryman model either.

It's a rare car in a rare spec , but will it attract a new owner who will continue with the works to return it to it's former glory?

Or will I just be pestered by people who want to pay "bottom dollar" price just to run it into the ground or strip for spares?

Time will tell.

Comment

I think it's high time that people realised that the days of picking up a decent Maestro or Montego for banger money are over. We are regularly seeing good cars (including non-MGs) fetch in excess of four figures which was unthinkable ten years ago. It is not a bad thing. In order for the cars to be safe in the future, values have to increase.

This car is an HL estate. HL is a desirable model and in estate form, even more so.

I'm hoping you find someone who can see its worth and potential Mal. If I was in a position, you know I'd already have it.

Comment

Sill repairs to the estate are almost complete.
                  Both sides needed quite a bit of work, but I guess that's what you get with no wax oil etc and a life on the south coast.

Plan is to clean up the full length of each sill and paint in a zinc rich primer then grey stone chip. all Masked off neatly.
                  it will then be the option of any prospective new owner to either paint as needed or go the whole hog and do the entire car to a high standard.
                  Last edited by MG MAL; 13th May 2014, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                    Sill repairs to the estate are almost complete.
                    Both sides needed quite a bit of work, but I guess that's what you get with no wax oil etc and a life on the south coast.

Plan is to clean up the full length of each sill and paint in a zinc rich primer then grey stone chip. all Masked off neatly.
                    it will then be the option of any prospective new owner to either paint as needed or go the whole hog and do the entire car to a high standard.
                    Nice job Ricky
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Well I have just got off the phone with Ricky.

The estate now has a full MOT.

let the tidying commence!

Comment

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
                        Well I have just got off the phone with Ricky.

The estate now has a full MOT.

let the tidying commence!
                        Goodo
                        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                        2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Fabbo!

Comment

Yesterday I collected the Estate from the Garage.

Huge Thanks go to Ricky and his team for getting the work done so quickly despite their busy schedules.

Work carried out.

Repairs to both rear sill ends and closing panels underneath.
                            Repairs to both Lower rear outer arch's where they join the sill's.
                            Nasty Locking wheel nuts removed and wheel studs replaced where needed.
                            Full New set of Handbrake cables fitted. ("Front to Back").
                            Brakes overhauled and cleaned, with replacement part's as needed.
                            4 New tyres fitted and Balanced with new vales etc
                            Very good part worn fitted to spare wheel.
                            NEW Old Stock Fuel ECU fitted.
                            MOT

Given a good scrub to get rid of the usual "Garage Grime" car's tend to pick up when being worked on.

Wheels have been decided on, it will have a full set of Cheese graters(or Toast racks if you prefer) with plain centre's.
                            IIRC these where an option on high spec Austins, but with the Austin logo Centre.

I have had my last set of "half decent" 14" rims fit with a set 4 new "Budget tyres" to keep the final cost down, but they will be more than adequate until a new owner has completed the restoration (should they wish to).
                            If the new owner decides to keep these rims fitted a light refurb is advised.

There is still lot's to do to tidy up the exterior paint, lot's of "paint cleaning" etc, and the sills will require a rub back, Zinc Prime and possible stone chip followed by top coat, if the local supplier can match the Targa red paint.

A light skim is still required on the rear arch repairs, and of course a darn good clean inside as well.

A new fuel ecu has been fitted due to the original failing while at the garage.

This failure gave the usual tell tale 'Instant High temp" when turning the ignition on from cold. So it now starts like she should.

A general service will be carried out, (oil filters etc) once the clean up has been completed.

Finally a New Austin grill in correct Silver will be fitted, as the old one is so faded and warped, it's not worth leaving on as I have a spare.

It will not be "pristine" once I have finished, nor will it be "Pretty", but it will be Solid and roadworthy.

Cost's so far: 690.00 (excluding collection)

I envisage another possible 100.00 or so to complete the clean up and servicing etc.

If anyone is seriously interested in this car once It's ready, please feel free to contact me, as It was never intended to be a "keeper".

It will have been given a "new lease on life" and hopefully will still be around for many more years.
                            Last edited by MG MAL; 22nd May 2014, 08:31.

Comment

A little update, progress has been a little slow due to other commitments, but some work has been done.

Starting to get there. Still arch's to Tidy, Hatch paint to deal with and screen seal to do. "Toast rack" Alloys seam to suit it.

Just the new ARG Badge to add here

Front end cleaned up well, Just hope the rest of the paint is as "Forgiving"

New grill, Bumper, Wing and Wheels are certainly a big improvement,

it also starts on the button since the new fuel ECU was fitted. smooth running too, so just a good service of the Auto box, should see a smooth gear change too.
                              Last edited by MG MAL; 20th July 2014, 16:20.

Comment

Looking good!

Just put some 'toast rack' alloys on my Montego and I agree - they do suit the Montego. I wonder why you never really see these alloys on Montegos?

Comment

Working...
                                X