boveybobs MG Montego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boveybobs MG Montego

Back from Bobs funeral and thank you Ash for allowing Mal and I to look over Bob's car.
    http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/album.php?albumid=339
    This is Bobs car
    C reg MG Montego efi in Targa red with 23,000 miles on it
    The paintwork is in immaculate condition having undergone restoration. The interior is spotless with red carpets, marle deco seats are unmarked. The car starts first time and is very quiet.
    Sporting unmarked cross spoke alloys and new tyres the car looks lovely.
    No rear spoiler but the car will be sold with the proper original black slab spoiler.
    The car has an after market sunroof and radio, the nearside rear central locking is a bit stiff but will work properly if lubricated and the dash does show signs of being repaired.
    No power steering as this was an extra on early models.
    Under the bonnet has been left original. Very clean, the engine has no leaks and a new radiator.
    The only fault I can see on the car are 2 small scuffs on the black part of the rear bumper.

The V5 is currently being transfered to Bobs widow and once that has been done the car will be sold.
    Would all/any interested parties please initially contact me and not Ash as I will be dealing with this for now.
    The car is being offered on here first and if not sold it will be put on Car and Classic etc
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 18th August 2014, 11:19.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Thanks Jeff for posting details up about Bob's car and my sympathies to Bob's family.

I have always thought Bob's car was one of the best pre-facelift MG Montego's around since I first saw it on here, he done a marvellous job and it looks a fantastic car indeed.

As much as I would love to have this car in with the collection I'm not going to be able to afford it so will have to count myself out and not waste anybody's time but I sincerely hope it is sold to someone within the club.

Jeff you mention about Brian's old car selling for £5000 aswell, I take it you now actually know that it did sell for that price as I'm sure many people including myself would like to know if it really did as I was still unsure of the outcome.

Comment

Ash, who is dealing with bobs car contacted the seller and it's been picked up. So you have to assume it sold

Comment

A super looking car and worth every penny. Sadly out of my league but hope it finds a good home and stays in the club I am sure that is what bob would have wanted.

I don't know how many owners it has but I don't think the v5 has to be transferred pre sale in such cases, my E30 certainly wasn't. Not really an issue but if owners are low it would save adding another.
        1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
        1989 BMW 316i
        2013 BMW 320d Touring
        2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Well it certainly sounds like it has then and I'm pleased that it did, I wonder if the new owner will find their way to the club.

Anyway I must not distract the thread about Bob's car, I'm hoping a couple or people on here that have been after an MG Montego will possibly make genuine enquiries on this car and that it goes to a member here. I just can't afford to have it myself what with other things going on.

Comment

My thoughts remain with Bob's family.

His car is a wonder and I can only hope that my own cars will be restored to such a high standard. Bob really did set a benchmark to which all MM restorations should be compared.

The car is worth every penny and I hope it finds the correct new owner soon.
            1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

I will almost certainly be going for Bob's car if mine can be sold first.

Comment

Sad loss. I knew Bob from many years ago. Very nice man. I remember him having the car restored too. May he rest in peace.
                Regards
                John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
                  I will almost certainly be going for Bob's car if mine can be sold first.
                  Well your car could easily be sold to a member here actively looking for a facelift model at the moment if a good reasonable price could be reached and you could end up with the right early car you want aswell so both cars could be kept with club members so to speak.

Comment

I do hope Bob's car will find a suitable owner.

It is by far the very best of it's kind, and it's value is (in my opinion) beyond that of any other MG Montego or MG Maestro EFI currently known to survive.

It is as close to museum quality that you can get, and would likely be a top concourse winner had Bob ever decided to enter it.

The value Jeff and I gave his family is the very minimum it should listed for, and that it would be best to place it as "Offers over 4k".

If sold in the right way, it will likely far exceed that bottom line value.

Recently an EFI sold for 5k., the car was known to several members here, and was also known not to be of the same standard as Bob's car.

However, any increase in value, increases the chance of preservation...

It is my hope that when (and if) they are ready, Bob's family will sell the car in such a manor that it will realise it's full potential value.

A value that I would suggest is nearer 6-7k if the sale is given the maximum coverage it deserves.

Comment

After much messing about and 'how not to sell a car' the car is now being offered at £2,500 ono
                      Ash and Jayne have gone about selling it the wrong way and didn't heed advise but it now needs to go
                      http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19888

The car did sell on ebay as an offer was accepted. Deposit was paid and lost as the 'buyer' didn't turn up etc and wasted every bodies time
                      Interested parties please contact me and I will pass on your details.
                      Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 18th August 2014, 11:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                        After much messing about and 'how not to sell a car' the car is now being offered at £2,500 ono
                        Ash and Jayne have gone about selling it the wrong way and didn't heed advise but it now needs to go
                        http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19888

The car did sell on ebay as an offer was accepted. Deposit was paid and lost as the 'buyer' didn't turn up etc and wasted every bodies time
                        Interested parties please contact me and I will pass on your details.
                        Thats in bargain territory now - anyone fancy an atlantic blue Mayfair....
                        1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                        1989 BMW 316i
                        2013 BMW 320d Touring
                        2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
                        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I agree its cheap now, but just goes to show still that even though prices are on the up, over inflate them and they wont sell,

Comment

Working...
                          X