CD Changer location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Changer location?

Just got myself a more in-period head unit than the one the car came with and it came with a separate 6 CD Changer unit. Just wondering if anyone else has ever fitted one to their Maestro and if so where is the best location?
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

CD LOCATION

Hi I put mine under the front passenger seat,so the cassette in it could be easily removed,with the seat at its furthest forward.
    Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

I think this is the best position. I fitted one to Sam Skelton's car in that position and it is unobtrusive.
      M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
      Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Under the front seats is good, as said above.

I've got the Philips R690 and DC082 Changer set up from a Rover 800 and the changer has always been under a front seat. Seems fairly well cushioned from bumps in this location, too.

Get some self adhesive Velcro strips to secure it to the carpet pile, too.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I had already thought about the front seat as a possible location but didn't know if there were better places around the shell. As a f'rinstance, I had a Jag X-type where it was fitted inside the LH rear wing in the boot. Also unobtrusive but a pig to wire up!
          Membership Secretary
          Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
          2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
          1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Yes as above mine had velcro spikey bits on the bottom of it and it sat under the front seat.

You can also make a bracket and secure it to the rear wheelarch area.

Most units can be mounted horizontally or vertically but there is often an adjustment to make to them to swap between the two (so the shock absorbtion works properly). I know that is the case with the DC082 I used to have in my van (was horizontal in my van and now vertical in the boot of my 600).
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I put mine in the glove box. You obviously lose most of the space but it's easy to mount as self tappers love the soft plastic. I cut a hole in the corner to get the wires out, which then don't have far to travel.

Ian
              Ian Drew
              MG Maestro Turbo '400'
              MG ZT V8
              Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

The point of the autochanger is to save changing discs too often so it doesn't need to be too handy. Mine is in the boot.

Comment

Whack one of these in, they look old skool and will go with the dash

http://www.vdoshop.co.uk/acatalog/12...h-USB-2.0.html

Comment

You'd be better off buying a new stereo. For £60 you can get a decent Sony stereo that has aux in and USB slot. Then you can have loads of songs on a USB drive and no messing with CDs. That way you don't need to make any mods to the car to fit a changer either.

Just a thought!

Ian
                    Ian Drew
                    MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                    MG ZT V8
                    Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

I should have checked out the link in the previous post first.......
                      Here's a decent Sony one from halfrauds.
                      http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audi...ront-aux-input

Not quite the retro look of that other one though.
                      Ian
                      Ian Drew
                      MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                      MG ZT V8
                      Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
                        You'd be better off buying a new stereo. For £60 you can get a decent Sony stereo that has aux in and USB slot. Then you can have loads of songs on a USB drive and no messing with CDs. That way you don't need to make any mods to the car to fit a changer either.

Just a thought!

Ian
                        but you do need to transfer all your music to MP3 and then copy it on to a device........................

Comment

...but once this is done it's done for good, no more faffing around with CDs.

Ian
                          Ian Drew
                          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                          MG ZT V8
                          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

That's what I've done. Check what is the max memory stick capacity the unit can take. Mostly it is 8gb but that's at least 1000 songs.

Comment

Working...
                            X