Another tickford on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leeroy View Post
    Thats a nice lookin astra valver. Never had one but but always wanted one.
    Thanks very much, This car also has turbo power

Comment

Originally posted by G588 OEA View Post
      Thanks very much, This car also has turbo power
      The burning question - what one is the quicker of the two?

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Sell me the wheels off your Astra!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brock View Post
          The burning question - what one is the quicker of the two?
          Sorry to say its the astra with 250+ brake and 6 gears but in all fairness to the maestro it handles better round the corners

Comment

oops posted twice
            Last edited by Mike Brock; 30th May 2012, 23:17.

Comment

Sorry to say its the astra with 250+ brake and 6 gears but in all fairness to the maestro it handles better round the corners
              With a basic tweak to the maestro's turbo actuator and tuned in SU carb it will keep up with your Astra - that's nearly '0' expenditure not forgetting uprated clutch! How much have you spent on the Astra engine?

Comment

With a basic tweak to the maestro's turbo actuator and tuned in SU carb it will keep up with your Astra - that's nearly '0' expenditure not forgetting uprated clutch! How much have you spent on the Astra engine?
                I have to inform you when i was a lad of twenty one some nineteen years ago i had an mg turbo and the standard 16v astra was only a shade slower the my slightly tweaked mg as you suggested. So i don't think there would be a chance for the maestro with a turbo stuck on an astra. Have have to say though that astra will be properly mental with 250 brake

Comment

Originally posted by leeroy View Post
                  I have to inform you when i was a lad of twenty one some nineteen years ago i had an mg turbo and the standard 16v astra was only a shade slower the my slightly tweaked mg as you suggested. So i don't think there would be a chance for the maestro with a turbo stuck on an astra. Have have to say though that astra will be properly mental with 250 brake

Have to agree after driving both, the astra"s acceleration and top speed is something the Maestro will never seem to achieve without serious mods and cash

Comment

A fully sorted maestro turbo with a simple boost increase and a properly set up carb with enough fuel etc. will see 215bhp at the most. The reason why i think a maestro turbo would keep up with 250bhp vauxhall astra is "torque". The O-series engine produces good torque levels way higher than bhp figures. Combine that with light body weight and you have a very quick car.

Comment

Have to agree after driving both, the astra"s acceleration and top speed is something the Maestro will never seem to achieve without serious mods and cash
                      What mods have you done to both cars?

Comment

What mods have you done to both cars?
                        The maestro engine was modified by the previous owner (a good mate) well I say modified more like removed from a montego drag strip car he bought for spares, all I know is it definatly has 20"thou oversized pistons and a reground crank.The carb was modified (dont know how) and the breather system was somewhat cobbled together by an idiot or a genieus with a Ribena bottle catch tank system behind the headlight. It has a charge cooler and a full stainless exhaust.It was running stupid boost levels somewhere in the region of 25psi but didn`t last long due to a head gasket failure. But this was about 10 years ago. It is now up and running but has a standard turbo and boost levels and standard carb, the charge cooler and stainless exhaust are still fitted though. It is also lowered by 2" I think on unknown springs (motobuild receipt somewhere I think)

The astra has a calibra turbo engine and 6 speed gearbox converted to 2 wheel drive,Large front mounted intercooler, larger injectors,3 layer steel head gasket with raised boost pressure and a Phase 2 chipped ecu with a differant inlet cam. bigger 288mm front disks and calipers from a vectra and lowered and uprated suspension
                        It may well be more than 250BHP but never had it rolling roaded

Comment

That explains why your maestro is down on power compaired to the astra. Just as long as your aware that the maestro turbo's performance can be greatly improved upon with very little financial out lay at all!

Comment

Little update, was very surprised but the car passed its MOT again the other day, although it looks very scruffy it was commented on how well its survived underneath. Only seemed to manage 500 miles in a year!! seems a bit of a shame really but at least it legal and gets some use

Comment

Giving this car bit of love today
                              Rust free 2nd hand tailgate fitted along with 2 O/Side rust free doors.
                              hopefully more work tomorrow

Comment

The Astra GTE must be as rare as a Maestro Turbo now I would have thought?

Comment

Working...
                                X