mg maestro turbo petrol tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mg maestro turbo petrol tank

Here are a couple of pictures of the new tank i bought of mg mal and converted for the turbo, the bloke said the original pipes were full of holes when he cleaned them up so fitted new pipes into the new tank, so if your turbo is running rough it could be the problem. He said he had no problem of repairing old tanks too.
    Attached Files

Hi Steve - very interesting indeed - who done the work and how much did it cost? Hope you don't mind me asking? Neat job! Thanks for sharing info on this as I have one of those tanks from mal. An external swirl pot could be used also.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

petrol tank

Hi Mike it cost me £60 he supplied pipes and used my swirl pot, he said if the old tank is solid he can cut the top of and replace the pipes, the only mistake i made was i told him that both the outlet pipe and the return faced the same way. His name is Stuart Ducker and his business is called brightcars and his mobile number is 07710913166 and is based near Doncaster.

Comment

Thanks Steve for the info - I will certainly give him a shout.

cheers

mike.

Comment

Hi

The idea is great but with the pick up pipe in the position it is at the moment the swirl pot won't work as it is supposed to because it will interrupt the swirl motion. The pick up needs to be in the centre of the bowl out of the way of the swirling motion of the fuel. No swirl and all you will get at the pick up pipe is warm airiated fuel.

Regards, Gary

Comment

Gary is right - have a look at my old tank...

Comment

Thinking about this logically, and bearing in mind that I have no experience of swirl pots:
              Surely if the pick-up is in the dead centre it will pick up air, as the swirling motion will force the petrol to the edge leaving the air in the centre. Agreed that if the pick-up is at the edge it will interfere with the swirling. So, as you can just about make out from Mikes picture, the pick-up should be somewhere between the centre and edge?

Just thinking out loud...

Ian
              Ian Drew
              MG Maestro Turbo '400'
              MG ZT V8
              Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

No don't tell me that . Tank all fitted now and car running. When will i get a problem, at high speed?

Comment

It'll be fine. The pickup is in the centre of the filter so is more central than the filter gauze (if that makes sense). The actual pickup point is at roughly the same distance from the edge as the feed into the bottom of the swirl pot. There is also another swirl pot under the bonnet (Talk about a belt and braces job!).
                  www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                  www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                  www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                    There is also another swirl pot under the bonnet (Talk about a belt and braces job!).
                    Hi Steve

It is not my intention to poor cold water on the project but more just for your reference really. It's probably just me but if you have gone to the trouble and expense of converting a new 1.6 tank (which I think is a great idea Steve ) you would want it to work as it should.

As it is it will help prevent fuel surge during cornering and acceleration and should ensure the pick-up pipe is always immersed in fuel, but I can't see it functioning to its full potential.

The swirling motion separates any air from the fuel return and along with the venturi helps pulls in cooler fuel from the tank so that you get nice cool de-airiated fuel going back to the engine. By the way the air bubbles rise to the top once separated, well away from the bottom of the pick-up tube.

I hope now it's in and running (which I didn't realise when posting) it won't cause you any issues, but if it does it might be possible to re-position the pick-up by access through the tank level unit, if the pipe is not welded to the bracket on the bowl.

The under bonnet vapour separator to my knowledge is not of the vortex type it is just a perculator. It's function on both the S series MG and the turbo is to aid hot re-starting by preventing vapour locking of the fuel lines.

Regards. Gary

Comment

Working...
                    X