Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing

I was thinking of useing a Dolly on the Monty to tow my metro up to the body shop then i can drive back while Monty its being fixed.
    My question is i have seen two sorts one for the trail;ing car wheels off the road and another where the wheels are on the road so which is the better option

David
    Sure & steadfast.
    BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
    1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
    1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Originally posted by TLC View Post
    I was thinking of useing a Dolly on the Monty to tow my metro up to the body shop then i can drive back while Monty its being fixed.
    My question is i have seen two sorts one for the trail;ing car wheels off the road and another where the wheels are on the road so which is the better option

David
    I don't know the answer David but do some research as I think there are legalities involved if not braked and if towed vehicle is not road legal from reading on other forums.
    1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
    1989 BMW 316i
    2013 BMW 320d Touring
    2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Both cars are road legal
      Sure & steadfast.
      1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Technically, and I think legally, if you are towing a car using an 'A' frame, then the towed vehicle is treated as a trailer, and because of its weight must be braked - as in when the tow car brakes, the towed unit must apply its brakes as well.

On that basis, I would think the easiest option would be the dolly where the towed cars wheels are off the road.
        Membership Secretary
        Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
        2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
        1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post
          Technically, and I think legally, if you are towing a car using an 'A' frame, then the towed vehicle is treated as a trailer, and because of its weight must be braked - as in when the tow car brakes, the towed unit must apply its brakes as well.

On that basis, I would think the easiest option would be the dolly where the towed cars wheels are off the road.
          Thats what i assumed however i followed a motorhome round Lincoln yesturday and it was towing a small car with all wheels on the road.
          Sure & steadfast.

Comment

The AA/RAC use standard A frames/rigid poles without any braking...

Comment

Thats what i assumed however i followed a motorhome round Lincoln yesturday and it was towing a small car with all wheels on the road.
              This is a real grey area. Some motorhomes are quite large (and heavy) and when they tow something like a Smart car it is in the belief that as it so small and light it doesn't need braking, but the law states that any trailer over 750kgs needs to be braked. There are solutions available for these circumstances that will operate a cars brakes when being towed by A frame, for those who do this on a regular basis.

Solid towbars used by the AA, fall under the same rules as a tow rope - it just gets rid of the snatch on takeup or the possibility of the towed car failing to stop!
              Membership Secretary
              Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
              2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
              1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

There are some products that hook up the cars brakes - I am sure there are many motorhomes not using this though!!
                1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                1989 BMW 316i
                2013 BMW 320d Touring
                2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
                Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I understood the law was that dollys were legally only for 'recovery' whereas towing required a trailer and following trailer rules. "I was recovering my Metro, Officer"

Comment

Working...
                  X