No announcement yet.

D621 SHE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't say my plans are to get it immaculate again. My vehicles work hard for their living. I'd like to get it solid though. Sounds like the paint is pretty much ruined - quite a bit apparently came off with the graphics. If it gets new paint, it'll be with a brush.

Besides, I find the concept of immaculate commercial vehicles a bit odd! They were never immaculate when they were young.

It's a fair while since I last owned a Maestro (1.3L) but I'm looking forward to my second bite of the cherry. That one was sold for a pittance to someone who wanted the engine for a Mini project. Well, I wasn't going to tell him...

Comment

Personally I wouldn't buy a 28 year old van then make it work hard for a living, it deserves some feet-up time, but great to see you taking it on. Look forward to the pictures.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

My 28-year old 2CV has to put up with a hard life. These things are built to be used.

Comment

Glad to see its had a reprieve from the scrap man and is back in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Dollywobbler View Post
            Can't say my plans are to get it immaculate again. My vehicles work hard for their living...
            Good to see that^^. All my cars are expected to commute or tip run when needed.

I have no problems in taking the metro turbo or whatever car I'm using off road onto whatever building site I'm on. If it's cost me money then it's got to earn it's keep.
            Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
            1985 Metro MG Turbo

1986 Maestro MG (GOING TURBO)
            1989 Maestro MG Turbo '#370'

1988 Montego MG Turbo 'SAD'
            1988 Montego MG Estate 'F700'

1995 Land Rover 110

2004 Rover Streetwise Td

Comment

I am about to depart to collect this machine, and see it for the first time!

Comment

I'm back.

This poor van really has suffered since its resto. Was it parked in the sea at some point?! I suspect it could have done with a few more coats of paint to be honest. It's blowing into full on rust all over the place, with a hole above the windscreen and massive plates on the rear of the sills. As a restoration project, it's a LOT of work.

I've soaked the worst bits with WD40 for now, and used aluminium tape on the windscreen hole. Happily, it seems to drive pretty well (for a Maestro van) but the cooling fan doesn't seem to be operating. Off now to investigate!

Comment

Here are a few reasons why this van's future is far from secure.

The paint job in 2008 may have been cheap, but it doesn't seem to have been much cop! One area just didn't actually touch the body, so has just cracked off. I had a poke in one rear wheelarch, all beautifully Shultz'd, and wish I hadn't as metal just started flaking away in my hand.

I'll do what I can to slow the decline, but the next MOT is going to be interesting (April).

It has other issues too. Badly worn wiper spindles, rear doors that are disinclined to shut, one rear door that has no handle and other niggles. Including this one!

It seems to get a tad hot. I suspect the rad fan switch so I'll have to get one ordered.

SHE is scruffy.

Comment

Crickey, I remember when that van was white. What's holding the van together?

Comment

Crikey! What an utter shame

Comment

Good luck DW. Got your work cut out there.
                        I'm about to weld new rear arches on my maestro 1.3 (car not van).

Comment

Originally posted by Gothbiker18 View Post
                          Crickey, I remember when that van was white. What's holding the van together?
                          I dread to think! I try not to think about it too much. Off for a jaunt in it tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. Previous owners seem to think the flashing high temperature light is a false alarm. It certainly starts flashing with the gauge still hovering around mid point and nowhere near the red.

Comment

maybe the fuel ecu unit is faulty fitted behind the panel under the steering wheel cowl.thats showing the engine is over heating

Comment

Is the ECU purely for cold starting? It has a manual choke (quite sensibly!) now.

Comment

It still keeps telling me it's overheating, but shows no other symptoms. I'll try a new sensor. It is only doing it at sensible times - ie going up steep hills or sitting in traffic. I will try and give it a coolant flush at some point too.

I've scraped the paint off the rusty, bubbly bits too, to try and release any trapped moisture. I've sprayed a load of anti-corrosion wax around these areas so if you see it at a show, don't be tempted to touch it. Longer term plans are still unknown, but it does drive well.

Changed the oil yesterday which was a bit of a saga, due to the incorrect cross-referencing of oil filters on the computers used by motor factors. Two tried supplying the right one. Oil was still quite black even after the new stuff had gone in and circulated for a while, so I'm planning another change after 2000 miles or so.

Hopefully see some club folk at the Gaydon bash tomorrow. I'll be covering about 450 miles over three days of travel. Will see if I still like it after that!

Comment

Working...
                                X