D621 SHE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D621 SHE

As requested by Steve, some awaited pics of the recent re-build.

Some quick history first of, Dshe (Deeshe) as this van is known, was bought just over a year ago, from Gothbob, who got it from Steve Smith. When I got it it was a dog, plain and simple. I tidied it up, best I could, and got an MOT quite easilly. I planned to run this van until the MOT ran out, and then, break it.

However, after its inital service, and a timing chain replacement about 6 months ago, I was deciding to keep hold of it, as it has been a fantasticly reliable van, in addition, the floor pan, and underside was pretty much spotless especially for a 20 year old van. The generall appearance let it down big time, the rust creeping into the arches, the dents and holes in the bumpers, and front doors that were hanging by nothing more than good luck.

I have a very good friend, who, is a welder and fabricator by trade, and also does spraying, and he agreed to sort out the bodywork, and re-spray it over xmas. We stripped down about three weeks ago, and we are now ready for the engine to back in, the doors are still being painted.

I will start with some pics from before, and at the stripped stage, and will add some more soon......

Rich
    Attached Files

yo,can you sort my van aswell?
    alot of it is bugged but engine runs :laugh:

Comment

What the pictures above don't show, is how flat and worn out the paintwork was, the random stone chip rust patches, and general shabbyness of the van.

Here is stripping down.......

Found one hole in the drivers side sill, and the others were in the passenger A piller. This took some re-building, and the door on this side had to be cut off with a sabre saw, as the heads of the nuts were so rusty, they were just little round stubby blobs.

This was probably, the worst bit.....

More pics tomorrow....
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rich; 30th December 2007, 22:56.

Comment

bugger me i thought it was bad when i picked it up glad u are keeping it tho good to see its still going keep the good work up

Comment

Looks like most stros of that age ...

Although nice one - and i cant wait to see the finished result!

Comment

Yeah, it was bad, but the majority of the bad bits were bolt on, or rather, un bolted and thrown away! The main body had the two bad bits as above, a few tiny holes in the floor which is where the seams had opened up slightly, rot in both rear arches, which the drivers side were holes which we just filled with weld, ground down and skimmed over. The holes in the rear panel were cut out, and a new plate welded in.

There was previous accident damage to the drivers rear quarter, and the rear light panel had been badly replaced at some point. Where the panels joined, was full of filler. Not a lot we could do here, but ground out the rot, and re-filled it. I opted to do away with the panel line at the back, and we filled it in on the other side, which is only noticable to the "trained" eye. The drivers arch, was repaired with the good bits from the front arch.

Front panel, and drivers wing have been replaced with good second hand items, as have the front doors. The rear doors were good, but have been out of line, following the accident, so are a bit dented where they have hit each other. Lining these up will be fun..... The random surface rust spots, which there were lots, were ground/wire brushed down to bare metal, chemical rust treatment was then used to neutralise the rust, before primer.

Anyway, pictures say a thousand words, so here are the repairs being carried out (the guy in the pics are my mate), and up to the primer stage!

Rich
            Attached Files

Comment

well its gonna look nice compared to the wreck that it was when i last see it...

Comment

wreck is one way of describing it, but even though at first glance it looked awful, underneath it was solid and reliable, and much cheaper than a Citroen Berlingo, with far more character.

The windscreen was removed, and the rot behing ground out. The engine bay after rust removal, was coated with paintable body schutz. Then the van was primed. It looked about 100 times better just in primer, even it did look BT Grey!

Rich
                Attached Files

Comment

rich that is amazing looks almost new that does. if u want a 5 speed box and all the bits let em know i may have some coming up soon.

Comment

Looking great, Rich.
                    Can't wait to see the finished thing.

Comment

The engine, as described in another thread, was given a good clean up, de-coke, head check and valve re-grind. A new 5 speed gearbox was fitted, and the whole unit looked a lot more presentable after a bit of paint.

The two second hand, but sound and almost rot free front doors, and original rears + bonnet have been hung up for priming and painting.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Cheers for all the comments so far!

I had to decide on a colour, and it was not an easy choice. I personally, hate white vans, most vans are white, and I just find it boring. I like blues, and my van in Henly blue, is nice, but still plain. So my original plan was to go for Zircon Blue, which I have always liked. Jon's MG has always looked good in that colour for example. However, I had to remember this one was being used for a buisiness, and would ultimatly be sign written, and would have to stand out a bit. So in the end, after much delibiration, I chose this, and it is a Rover colour if anyone can guess it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like the Blue Thats used on the 45, Or Carribean Blue
                            Last edited by Stephen G; 3rd January 2008, 17:21.

Comment

I'd have to say Caribbean Blue aswell.

Looking lovely!

Comment

Working...
                              X