Key Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Identification

Who Can Help our slightly eccentric german friend out?

Hello vintage car friend,

I have read your website and I have seen the article in the forum. Since we talk about car keys. I am a long time collector of antique keys and do not understand the keys. Leyland and Rover, Land Rover and MG or Maesto and Montego.
    I want to know which key to what car belong. Can you give me a hand? Please see pictures and tell me what type of car it is. Where does this belong the keys?

Can you give me a good man, who know it with cars is this keys? Please give me a note.

Thanks for your help

Greetings from a crazy collector from Germany

image url

Montego valet key in blue easy to identify. The steel only Austin Morris branded one in the same picture will likely be miniMetro for door and tailgate.

BL7 - Seen on Austin Allegro for door/boot lid (not ignition)
    BL1,2,3 - Similar era (Allegro), but for ignition (not doors)
    BL4 - Rover 800 ignition and doors
    BL6 - miniMetro era filler cap key?

I should imagine the BL branded keys are going to be interchangeable with most BL era cars so he might struggle to identify a specific model.

What an odd hobby!

Comment

What a top man :-)

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post

What an odd hobby!
      What a great post. He's left me feeling entirely normal In fact, I think he's made the majority of the membership look normal! I'm assuming he's male - I think that sort of craziness is more associated with males than females. I think we're supposed to collect cats when we're a bit crazy!

I do believe that we've found our AGM entertainment - I think he should be invited as a VIP

Sorry for not being able to help with the post itself, but what a great one!

Comment

There's no valet key on the pictures. The top picture is of Chrysler era keys for sunbeam/avenger

Comment

Sorry Richard I see the bluish MM key in the second picture

Comment

What you need here is a genuine sadd-o. I'm so sad I have hidden under Linda's ID for this reply.
            PIC1- All look like Rootes/Chrysler Avenger,Sunbeam, Hunter type keys, from 1970s and made by Neimann. Triumph one is not Triumph, it is also a Rootes key.

PIC2- top left is an Austin/MG Montego valet key. Opens everything except for the boot and glove box. Part number BAU 5119
            Bottom left is the Metro, Maestro, Montego NSP style key made by Neimann and introduced in 1980 and used until 1988. Part Number BAU5118.
            Right: metro door and tailgate key. Metros had separate keys for these and the ignition until 1983. This was an Austin Rover branded Wilmot Breeden FT type key.

More boring key facts to come (iPad needs a charge).
            Last edited by Simon; 22nd July 2014, 14:53.

Comment

Ok, more boring, yawn-inducing, key (so-called) facts from the depths of my tiny little mind:

Picture 3 shows from L-R, top row:
              BL7 is an FT type door key for Allegro/Marina/Princess/TR7 etc. The FT series was a Wilmot Breeden key originally developed for Ford and was one that could fit either way up. BL6 is a locking fuel cap key for use on the above vehicles, either of WASO or P. Journee manufacture. Any "Leyland" ignition key with a thin tip on the end is likely to be the N or AA type, active between 1970-1976/7, specified for cars with steering locks. These could have the more open hex-head or the more closed type of hex plastic head with the leyland logo. There are other variations of this type. In Pic 3 that means key number 3 and 9 (all-metal key, presumed a copy key) on the top row and the third and 4th keys on the bottom row. The Key marked Bedford CF is for a...Bedford CF which was a van like a Transit but made by Vauxhall/Bedford from 1970 to 1985. The key marked Innocenti looks like a Mini 90/120 key, one handed, possibly for a Marelli column lock. Key 5 looks like another FT type key for doors/boots. Key 4 is the CWE10034 blank for Metro/Maestro/Montego from 1988 to 1991. The last bunch of keys look suspiciously like an Leyland DAF/LDV 200/400 set to me, complete with the P. Journee fuel cap key. Keys 1,8 and 2 all look differently handed and could be Leyland RV, NH, VV, VL, VN or VO type keys. RV's for example fitted Minis from 77-80. NH's were for various Triumphs and Range Rovers. Key 018 looks like Allegro/Princess/Ambo/Ital post 1980.

Picture 4 shows some more AA or N style keys (The first 4) The last bunch shows a Curtis headed replacement MMM style key in the foreground, with a Rover 213/216 style key in the background (these were handed opposite)

PIC5, Key 22, 16 and 20 look like Wilmot Breeden FS series keys for doors/boot/non locking ignition on many BMC/BL cars from the early 60s. Keys 23 and 21 look like FK keys, but I'm not sure what they are for. Similar but longer than an FS key type. Key 014 looks like the one for his filing cabinet?

More Wilmot Breeden/Union keys in Pic 5. )13 is an FA type. I think the rest are FS type. FS880 was a generic key, the most popular combination number.

In the last picture, the first, third 4th and 5th are Wimmot Breeden FT keys. They are the sort that can fit in either way up for convenience. The second one looks like an FS with an alternative head shape. These could be had in round, hexagonal, flatter rectangular or paddle shapes. 006 and 015 look like all-metal NH copy keys for some Triumph/MG models, the last one might be an AA or N type all metal copy key.

I'm off now to find the key for the padded cell...
              M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Simon, you really do need to get out more

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya View Post
                  What a great post. He's left me feeling entirely normal In fact, I think he's made the majority of the membership look normal! I'm assuming he's male - I think that sort of craziness is more associated with males than females. I think we're supposed to collect cats when we're a bit crazy!

I do believe that we've found our AGM entertainment - I think he should be invited as a VIP

Sorry for not being able to help with the post itself, but what a great one!
                  Hmmm.........he/she may be married and the keys are placed in a bowl on the table when their other married friends come round to visit

Oh, and Simon, thanks for relieving me of the need to release my inner geek for this thread.

Those 'FT' keys were your passport to the majority of Fords on the road up until steering locks became standard fit. Maybe that's where Boris Johnson got his idea for the 'Boris Bikes' from
                  Last edited by digital efi; 23rd July 2014, 22:27.
                  1983 (Y) MG 1600
                  1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                  1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                  1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                  1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                  1990 Clubman D
                  1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Originally posted by digital efi View Post
                    keys are placed in a bowl
                    Blimey! That's swinging the topic round a bit.

Actually, I know it is a bit strange but keys do interest me a bit and because I've had quite a few BL/ARG/Rover cars I've got to know the facts about the keys a bit better.
                    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Working...
                    X