Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG Maestro Turbo 400 bhp My Blog

Hi All,
    This is going to be my blog on the work am doing with my MG to gain over 300 bhp !! well my aim is 320 to 350bhp

I will keep it updated has the work comes along, if anyone wants to follow it's progress.

Engine that is (or was) fitted is Rover T16 and work has started today.

comments welcome has is good advice! if you have any

well engine is out now,

jobs to do
    ENGINE BLOCK
    engine block going to be bored out 2.1 forged pistons +rods. 86mm pistons
    Forged crankshaft looking like it going to be made by Arrow
    ARP Head bolts +flywheel bolts
    4 Layer Head gasket
    new oil pump
    new oil cooler
    lightened flywheel + uprated clutch.

CYLINDER HEAD
    was already ported by c&c heads manchester, but going back for large valve conversion and more porting. 34.5mm inlets 32mm exhaust
    piper camshaft 270H
    double valve springs
    new valve oil seals
    uprated petrol injectors prob be Siemens Deka 80lb 875cc Injectors

have all parts besides crankshaft at the moment, hoping this will be sorted next week or so

not sure about aftermarket ecu or turbo which way am going to go?
    Last edited by charliecosworth; 26th July 2017, 10:02.
    MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Looking forward to following this Peter. Should be interesting to see how you get on. Good luck

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
    Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
    Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

Sounds like a project! I'd go for both to reliably get to your power goal.

Strange to get a forged crank though. The standard crank will handle 500bhp. Even a mildly ported head will get 300+ Also a standard head will flow 300bhp, so to got to a big valve head, and have it opened out even more? Seems like you are building an engine spec that is around 800bhp capable (turbo dependent of course) but then opting to run power you could easily get with just forged pistons, t28, aftermarket ecu and fmic?

Don't take this as criticism, it just seems a bit odd. You could get that power for a few hundred pounds, but you are spending several thousand.

I'd say go for a all out gt35r, with omex 600 to get around 650+?

Hope it goes well for you whatever you decide.
      Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
      not sure about aftermarket ecu or turbo which way am going to go?

Comment

(Strange to get a forged crank though. The standard crank will handle 500bhp)

your second person tell me that today have asked arrow for quote see what price is first.

last time it was on rollers it done 263 BHP at 14 psi with mild port and T28 turbo
        MG Maestro turbo 437
        367 Bhp

Comment

I will certainly follow this with interest. However, I am wondering whether a time machine might be a little bit slower than this? 350bhp is going to make it spectacularly fast (and the standard version producing 152bhp is no slouch).

Comment

Pretty sure the cranks are over 2k or that ball park. I'd say it's crazy to over spec the engine by that much if you are never going to use it? There is safety in being over engineered but there are limits beyond which it's a bit nuts! I think you'll be beyond nuts...

Comment

I been called worse
              But I don't want finish the project and at the end wished I had bought one, price in mind between £2000 to £2500 see what happens next week, the head work I won't see much change from £1200 to £1400 sadly upgrades if you want them correct cost lot of money, anyone can Wack up the boost on a turbo car only mater of time engine blows
              MG Maestro turbo 437
              367 Bhp

Comment

Just with the pistons (possibly rods) and aftermarket management you'll see north of 300bhp reliably.

No need for a crank unless you are looking north of 500 horsies.
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Thinking emerald k6 Ecu, been doing some home work it will work stepper motor and idle control ?
                  MG Maestro turbo 437
                  367 Bhp

Comment

Worth asking on rovertech as they have more experience. I think the biggest factor is having someone reasonably local who is good at mapping whatever you choose to fit. Omex, DTA, and Emerald at the more common ones I've seen done.
                    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Awesome just awesome
                      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

Comment

Love the project will be following all the way!
                        *****MG Maestro Turbo # 496*****
                        Follow me at
                        FourNineSix

Comment

thought i would share photo of the knife edge forged crank, and forged rods made by arrow, the rods have built in under piston oil squirters too to keep pistons cool.
                          The Ecu is going to be emerald K6 going to convert the loom to run wasted spark, instead of dizzy cap and rotor arm!
                          More pictures to follow
                          MG Maestro turbo 437
                          367 Bhp

Comment

That is some serious kit. There are a handful of T series that have had that sort of money thrown at them. I really think you should do some serious research into a turbo with a 400bhp+ power level. With those components you can get a bottom end balanced which will safely rev out to 7 or 7.5k I'd also think about getting some billet cams ground to make the best of your head flow. You've gone into it in a big way, seems a shame to end up on 270's and restrict your head work.

Comment

am going to take crank, flywheel, clutch and new pulley's and get them all balanced together, flywheel is about half the weight of the original.
                              not decided on turbo yet could be GT30 still doing some home work on this, its true what you say about cams could go 285 with newman cams without changing the tappets or so i was told

MG Maestro turbo 437
                              367 Bhp

Comment

Working...
                              X