Classics Monthly Magazine - March 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classics Monthly Magazine - March 2014

Heads up for the forthcoming article in the Classics Monthly magazine (March 2014).

A "head to head" on three 1980's hot hatches.

Ford XR3i V Astra GTE V MG Maestro.

Looks like the Maestro is B702 VAT in Azure Blue. Anyone on here?

I hope the Maestro gets a decent write up?

The Maestro belongs to Tanya, it's an MG1600 'S'.

Comment

Well if its a 1600 I think we already know the results
      If they wanted to use a 1600 the test should have been against an XR3 and an astra 1.6 SR ,assuming they could find one that is
      I did see one the other week between shenfield and Southend at a farm where a montego was also present

Comment

Hopefully Maestro will receive a favourable write up.

That shoot was the first time I got to use the Fast Check. Ok, it was only as a tray to transport 6 hot drinks on for 1.5 miles to the other side of Farmoor Reservoir, but it did the job very well, with only a drop being spilt from the hot chocolate. For some reason, the hot chocolate seemed to have a more watery consistency than the coffees!

Anyway, Andrew Roberts who's written the feature drove Arthur while I held the drinks on the Fast Check tray. We didn't get to try the same test with the Astra and XR3i, but I can't believe that they would have been so successful! Also, the XR3i had a no food or drink policy so it would have failed at the first hurdle!

It was good fun despite the rain, but I guess the rain was inevitable!

Comment

I might be pleasantly surprised but I think I know the result of this test.

If they were going to test the Astra and Ford against an MG Maestro they should have chosen an MG EFi/2.0i. By far the biggest majority of MG Maestros ever made, and virtually all of the surviving cars (Turbos discounted), are 2.0i. The MG 2.0i was a class-leader in many ways, whereas as much as we all here may love the MG1600 for its undoubted charm and distinct peculiarities, it was not a class-leader. I almost smell a deliberate stitch-up.

Anyhow, I hope you and Arthur had a great day Tanya, none the less.
          Last edited by G51 NAV; 7th January 2014, 12:22.
          Regards
          John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
          MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

it's not just our cars this happens with, you see it all the time. You think they'd be able to find cars of similar spec to test between each other.
            CURRENT FLEET:
            1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
            1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
            1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
            2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
            1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

I need to get a copy of this mag to see what the result was!

I spotted it on Tanya's MG's parcel shelf at this event http://www.witneymotorshow.co.uk/ last night.

Excellent display by Tanya, which did the club (and car model) proud BTW.

Comment

Working...
              X