Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing in mind its 1980-ish launch, perhaps it was originally conceived as a saloon, but the hatchback came later in the development process because that was the way the market was moving.

The Fiat 127, Alfasud and Citroen GS all started with a conventional boot (on a 'fastback' design) but gained hatchbacks after launch.

Even the Maxi had a non-hatch version proposed, but they were never sold (I have a 1969 Maxi handbook containing full details of how to open and lock the boot (with pictures)

In reality, though, (as far as the Astra/Kadett was concerned) it was probably just another chance for a German manufacturer to give themselves a chance to say "that'll be extra, sir" when the customer placed his order for a hatchback
    1983 (Y) MG 1600
    1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
    1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
    1990 Clubman D
    1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

• Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
      those ones with the saloon boot were rare to see when they were common sight on the roads, I don't know why you would have chosen one new over a hatchback...? maybe someone knows the answer?!

i really like vauxhalls of that age
      I agree these were very rare and I have always liked the the mark one astra the only thing thats put me off getting one is it must be harder to get parts like glass, panels, lights etc than it is a maestro .

Comment

• Originally posted by maestro dave View Post
        I agree these were very rare and I have always liked the the mark one astra the only thing thats put me off getting one is it must be harder to get parts like glass, panels, lights etc than it is a maestro .
        I've found the opposite Dave, eBay is chock full of new old stock parts and you can even get most of the body panels still. I assume its riding on the coat tails of the Kadett

Comment

• Booted astras were rare when new especially 4 door ones most booted ones were kaddetts. Y reg is also very late for one
          The another car that looked like a hatch that wasnt (princess excepted) was the audi coupe

Comment

• Originally posted by GregMac View Post
            I've found the opposite Dave, eBay is chock full of new old stock parts and you can even get most of the body panels still. I assume its riding on the coat tails of the Kadett
            Well that has surprized me , but Im pleased you dont have a problem finding parts for your car

Comment

• I saw the most immaculate Rover 216 I've seen for years today. Zircon Blue VDP EFI, absolutely spotless in every way, looked like it had just been driven out of the showroom. It was supplied by local AR dealer SMAC Group according to the original dealer plates. There was a very old couple in it, the guy driving was wearing white driving gloves as well. Really made my day.

I've just checked now, and unsurprisingly, it's showing 0 previous owners. Reg G70 AHK. Wish I'd had my camera with me.
              1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

Comment

• Spotted what I think is the last Montego left in Southend the other day. It's a very tidy, white 2.0 GTI Auto saloon registration J517 WJN which I last saw a couple of years ago. It was driven by a middle aged lady, and judging by the spotless condition, is kept garaged, which would explain why I've never found where it lives. It's showing as 0 previous owners as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard H View Post
                  Spotted what I think is the last Montego left in Southend the other day. It's a very tidy, white 2.0 GTI Auto saloon registration J517 WJN which I last saw a couple of years ago. It was driven by a middle aged lady, and judging by the spotless condition, is kept garaged, which would explain why I've never found where it lives. It's showing as 0 previous owners as well.
                  where are you getting your info from re. previous owners?

Andy
                  CURRENT FLEET:
                  1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                  1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                  1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                  2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                  1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Jez View Post
                    anyone know this MG Maestro turbo?
                    This is my maestro turbo *70* and as of today, it is officially back on the raod after its long long slumber! great! another turbo saved!
                    thanks, jake.

Comment

• Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
                      where are you getting your info from re. previous owners?

Andy
                      Start an Ebay cars listing, then at the top of the page there's a box to enter a reg and search for details. It tells you how many previous owners are showing on the V5.

And Cartell.ie to find the spec.

Comment

• Lunchtime today, A47/B582 Desford crossroads near Leicester.
                        A Nightfire Red Countryman, registration ending in GCW. It looked to be in nice condition from about 3 car lengths back, but the passenger's front window was covered with a flapping black bag!

A few seconds later I saw a Pearlescent Cherry Mini Thirty, so a good day for classic Austin-Rover group spotting
                        1983 (Y) MG 1600
                        1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                        1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                        1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                        1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                        1990 Clubman D
                        1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

• Mayday BBC1 (Monday 9pm)

F(2?)24 YVG - Light blue in petrol station

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...day_Episode_2/

Look from 16 mins in
                          1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
                          1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
                          Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Comment

• Originally posted by cybernaughthippo View Post
                            F(2?)24 YVG - Light blue in petrol station

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...day_Episode_2/

Look from 16 mins in
                            F244YVG I think

but the Y looks drawn on with a marker pen even the V looks dodgey
                            I have no montego anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by Craig Anderson View Post
                              F244YVG I think

but the Y looks drawn on with a marker pen even the V looks dodgey
                              Dodgey plates and dodgey acting lol

Comment

• Spotted today in Birmingham city centre. I was in a Montego too so was a bit of a coincidence. Can't remember the last time I saw a Monty in Brum other than PoL:

Sent from the museum of BL tat using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X