List of remaining Tickford Turbos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
    #261 unfortunately is in storage and in bits.

It was to be restored to showroom condition, but most of us know how that ended.

Sean can be contacted via Pm on here if you wish to see how she looks now.

Mal.
    I've just sent a PM to Sean requesting some info/pics so hopefully he'll reply to me.

Cheers guys

Comment

I see Maestro number 1 has been unlicensed since last year.
      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Its me who has it .. Well sort of
        Replied to the PM ..

Comment

Nice to hear from someone who used to own a Maestro Turbo in earlier years. I got mine at 19 even though I didn't actually have any money to buy it! Mine might be staying in hibernation this year - I'm not getting so much spare time at the moment! Anyway, the garage is the best place for such rare cars these days what with the amount of traffic there is and the nutters there are about.

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

who's gonna do a list of remaining Monty Turbos (registrations)?

probably fewer than the Tickford Maistys?

Comment

i wish i have kept Turbo 237 that i rebuilt at 18
              I dont know were it is now. Turbo 316 chassis number has gone though now to live on in a B reg car

Comment

Originally posted by oseerees View Post
                who's gonna do a list of remaining Monty Turbos (registrations)?

probably fewer than the Tickford Maistys?
                You'd have to actually know the Monty Turbo registrations in the first instance. There's also the little matter that there were 7,276 of them, so it would take quite a bit longer checking those than the 505 Maestro ones...
                Regards
                John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Hello All,

When ever we take 345 anywhere and tell the story about Maestro Turbos i inevitably get asked the question - 'How many are left'... To which i answer, 'im not sure but when did you last see one'! I then proceed to guess how many are left...

So, as a result of this over the last few months i have spent the odd 5 minutes here and there going through the DVLA website checking the 505 database against the the DVLA's records...

Going through the database takes a bit of time and still does not give you a difinitive answer as some cars are -

'Sorn' - Meaning they could be perfect and locked away, also means they could need restoration and may never see the light of day again. The mear fact they are 'sorned' means they are still alive in one state or another!

Some have not been taxed for a long period of time, which could mean that they are alive. For the purposes of this i have not counted any cars that have not been taxed since before 2007 as i think it is fair to deduce that they are scrapped / broken for parts / dead!..

The other catergory are the 'not knowns' meaning that the 505 database does not know the current registration number so it is impossible to trace the cars. There are also 4 exported cars!

So as you can see the following figures are still open to some debate but at least we can now have some idea of whats left!

Moderators - I was going to print the complete list but 505 lines will take some space, let me know if you think i should or not- and the best way to do it!

The figures -

Currently taxed and on the road - 27
                  Sorned = 183
                  Registration Not Knowns = 53
                  Exported 4
                  Dead (Not including the 'not knowns' or 'exported' and using 2007 as the cut off) = 238

So if you add up the 'sorned' and 'taxed' cars up it comes to 210 cars that are known to be surviving in way or another....

'Not knowns' are 53 + the 4 exported cars =57

Presummed dead (using 2007 as the cut off) =238

So approximately just under half of the cars are alive somewhere or another, with not many actually taxed however i dont think there are many in daily use so this figure is not that surprising!

Hope you find it useful!

C

Comment

I think it might be better to do the DVLA check later in the year when more cars are likely to be taxed, e.g., my car will currently show as SORN but is safely tucked up in my garage waiting for summer.

I want to put something on the turbo forum about this subject but I think it would be better if the reg numbers are ommitted for the moment.
                    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I know my old tickford is on sorn as its awaiting bodywork repair.

Comment

There was a red one with only 25000 miles on it for sale in Kent I believe last year. Does anyone know what happened to it?
                        I think the owner wanted £5000 for it!

Comment

Still 2 SORN'd Tickfords with us.
                          A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
                          Maestro Camper Van
                          Maestro 1.3L
                          Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

I know of one Maestro Turbo that is definitely dead! The reg I think was F192 TRW. I have it written down somewhere and the model number ( 90something). Unfortunately when I was converting my Montego SLX to turbo, I came across it in a local scrapyard and removed lots of engine parts. The turbo was blown! Victor Kish (of top gear feature) and Martin ? (MGM Group main men at the time) came up to the yard with me. ( Victor was in his red T16 Turbo conversion Martin was in an original BRG Maestro Turbo but converted to T16 - where are these guys now?) Martin removed loads of bits ( wing mirrors door cards etc) He may still have them? As an attempt to pay a little respect I bought the corresponding pewter model complete with ID card. Are these all sold now? As I recall, Martin commissioned 505 of these models to be made - are these all still in existence! Oh well, if you ever see my white Montego conversion ( H11RBO now H287 LOH) that lives in Slough (unless sold on again or worse!), you now know some of F192 TRW lives on! Wouldn't mind knowing how many Montego Turbos survive too, but how can we tell. How many are registered with the various clubs? I suppose thats a starter.
                            Last edited by Jumturbo; 18th February 2009, 19:54.
                            sigpic
                            63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                            'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                            '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                            '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                            'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                            '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                            'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Originally posted by Jumturbo View Post
                              Victor Kish (of top gear feature) and Martin ? (MGM Group main men at the time)...
                              Victor still has the same car - the so-called 'Mental Maestro' as christened by Steve Berry - and is a core poster on Triple-M. Martin (Woods) no longer has an MG but I still hear from him via email now and again. Sad to report the MG Turbo you remember him owning (A20 TBO) was burnt out by arsonists and was scrapped a few years ago.
                              Regards
                              John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                              MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Thats very sad. Martin Woods was a Maestro Turbo obsessive. Can't believe he no longer even owns an MG! Glad to hear Victor still has the 'mental maestro'. Not seen that car since the day at the scrap yard ( year 2000) when he took me for a memorable drive over the back roads of Marple Bridge. How come he never turns up at the saloon days? Would be nice to see him and the car at this years event! I recall that around this time Gary Boxall was leaving for New Zealand. Is he still there? He was the Ed of forward and had a T16 Montego Turbo ( A2 OTU). Where is that car now? Has Gary come back and does he have MGs still?
                                sigpic
                                63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                                'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                                '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                                '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                                'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                                '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                                'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Working...
                                X