Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking of getting a cert untilI saw the price,must wait a bit as we are just moving house. I have someting in my history file that is probably rarer than a heritage cert. The build card off the production line. Is there many cars that have this ? and how would the previous owner of mine have got this?

Comment

£40 or £50 for a piece of A4 card? I cannot see many Maestro/Montego certificates flying out of their printers. The MG 'M' Group produce a certificate for the MG Maestro Turbo, using the build sheetss from Aston Martin Tickford, at £4 incl. P&P.

The Heritage Centre cannot even get the writing straight on theirs!

£4:

£40:

Comment

One could say that the MG'M' Group are missing a trick by selling their Turbo records so cheaply. £4.00? A very good price, yes, but not much of a money spinner.

The BMIHT records do come on very high quality paper, embossed with gilded detailing.

Of course, if you don't want to spend the £40 that BMIHT charge, I suppose you could always go and visit yourself and search through the hundreds of boxes of records for our cars, containing thousands of sheets at a time at a maximum of three boxes per visit (house rules) and knock up your own certificate!

Comment

Possibly - but we don't sell many (as there aren't many cars in the first place) so if they were more expensive, it would not be a money spinner. Anyhow, it doesn't quite cost £4 to make one so it covers costs and adds a couple of quid to the pot.

The quality of the finish on the heritage certificate doesn't make it worth any more. The value is in the information firstly and presentation second. Like all these 'nice to have' items, I would argue that "if you don't want to spend the £40 that BMIHT charge" you just go without

We all know the market for items for our cars (a debate often rehearsed on this forum). I have had people query the cost of the anti-roll bar links that we sell at cost price - even when their cars have needed one for the MOT and they are NLA from any other source.

Comment

If the price of £40 is correct then it does represent an increase of £7 since I last bought a Heritage certifcate, which was two years ago.

Whether it represents value for money or not is a personal choice. However, two years ago I bought a certificate for a Rover P5 and despite there being very limited information in the official Build ledgers, I was still pleased with the quality of the information given, based on a VIN being supplied by me. As well as details about the exterior colour, interior colour, Build date (i.e. off line) and date of despatch (the date details of the vehicle were handed over to the despatch department rather than when it physically left the factory), it also had details of who the receiving distributor was. Sadly there were no details in the Build ledgers (which I viewed last year) of the factory fitted options it had.

Hopefully the Maestro's production records will yield similar information, as well as for any optional extras a particular example was fitted with on the assembly line, not to mention the actual dealer it was delivered to.

The Maestro Turbo's production records relate solely to the involvement of Tickford in terms of when they received the cars, how long they had it for and any other cars in that particular batch. Also the individual production number they [Tickford] allocated to it rather than Rover Cars and how many other examples were finished in that same colour. The Tickford records do not provide the actual Build Date for when the car, minus its body kit and graphics, officially left the assembly line at Cowley. Many years ago I was able to obtain this factory Build information for the four press cars.

Depending on how detailed the records are and easy they are to interrogate based on individual VIN, I would be interested to learn how many other MG Maestro 2.0is left the assembly line on the same date as mine - again, the actual Build date for mine was something I researched over ten years ago.

Remember, most of the Build records held by the Heritage Motor Centre are not computerised but are either in Ledgers or on Microfiche; the latter of which was not usually recorded in a logical order based on the sequence of VINs. Therefore, for the Archivist, this can be a time-consuming exercise which may take up to an hour of their time for an individual enquiry. Ask him about the microfiche records held for the Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Pi saloons, as they are an absolute nightmare to work through!
            Last edited by David3500; 17th July 2011, 23:39.

Comment

Heritage certificates are also one of the few forms of proof accepted by DVLA when trying to obtain age related plates. It's pretty much an official document.

I bought one for my land rover around 5 years ago and don't remember it being much cheaper.

They have been selling them for years at that price. Im sure you could make your own passport for cheaper, but it needs to be backed by an issuing authority!

Nice bit of advertising there mattew

Comment

Originally posted by ozzienpg View Post
                Heritage certificates are also one of the few forms of proof accepted by DVLA when trying to obtain age related plates. It's pretty much an official document.
                Age-related plates should be issued automatically. It is DVLA policy to issue an age-related plate when a registration is applied for a vehicle, even if it has never been registered in the UK before.

When importing a car from overseas, something like an MG RV8 from Japan, I would expect the vehicle registration document, issued in the country that the car was first registered, would be used. Or if it was a UK car that needed a plate following the transfer of a private plate, you'd use the V5C and get a plate with the same prefix, suffix or (post-2001) year code.

I cannot imagine that all those imported Japanese cars come with a heritage certificate from the original manufacturer.

Originally posted by ozzienpg View Post
                Nice bit of advertising there mattew
                No worries

Comment

Does anyone know if the heritage certificates have the body number on them. I'm led to believe that this is the one in the boot of the maestro's

Comment

So it's £40 to get printed information on a car, sorry I must be missing the point, why is this such good news? Apart from displaying at shows and the like there is no other purpose, or am I wrong?

Comment

Discover the original numbers and colour scheme, dates of build and despatch, and where available, the details of factory fitted equipment.
                      its ideal for anyone whos just interested in getting a full history for their car, or for someone trying to get their car back to the exact spec it left the factory.... its not up everones street but a few will be interested

in the future if they begin the rolling tax exemption scheme again and it ends up with a cut off of say August 1984 - then having a cert stating a cars actual build date could be the diference beteween paying tax or not... something for the future I know but its there

I wont be getting one for my car as its missing a lot of history already - so no point really
                      CURRENT FLEET:
                      1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                      1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                      1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                      2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                      1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

I already know the full history of my car ive lived with it all its lifeand knowbody else is going to get it until iam dead
                        Sure & steadfast.
                        BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                        1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TLC View Post
                          I already know the full history of my car ive lived with it all its lifeand knowbody else is going to get it until iam dead
                          Well I wouldn't bother with a heritage certificate then...
                          CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

to be honest this is just another example of the club working for the future of these cars... When the government increase the tax free status offered to classic cars beyond 1972 (I personally think it'll happen one day) the new cut off date may for example be 1987 (who knows) it's then when these certificates will be useful, someone could have a 1987 car registered in 1988 and a cert would prove to DVLA that the car could be granted historic status.
                            CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

I too hope this will happen one day.
                              And agreed the certificates are very good for that purpose.

Comment

that seems to be a lot of money for a certificate, as when i had my mustang i got a build certificate hard copy and email from Ford dearborn Michigan in the good old U S of A for nout not one penny, all they wanted was a picture of the car in return

Comment

Working...
                                X