Birthday design for Montego's 30th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday design for Montego's 30th

The club has very kindly agreed to pay for a birthday cake for Montego's 30th. I need to order it in about a week's time, to be ready for Drive It Day/Montego's 30th at MINI Plant Oxford on Sunday 27th April.

I need ideas for the design, and cake design is really not my thing! Does anyone have a photo of the cake from Montego's 20th, as I understand there was a cake.

Anyway, all ideas welcome and very necessary!

Thank you

How about the blue/lime green futuristic 'grid' background from the cover of the launch brochure? Maybe a simple '1984-2014 30 Years' design for the top?

Comment

As you are wanting the cake to specifically commemorate 30th years of the Montego I would put forward the following suggestions:

Depending on whether the cake comprises of a sponge or fruit cake mix, you could have the cake external profile (i.e. sides) cut/shaped to resemble the side-on view of a Montego saloon. Alternatively you could simply leave it rectangular in shape and consider some of the following ideas :-

Icing - this could be in the aforementioned blue, green and white (the Austin Rover Group colours), if you did not want it to resemble a particular car or single body colour. Such a colour combination would look quite prominent if featured as three bands on the sides.

On top - there are companies who do provide a Royal icing top which has been colour-dyed to resemble a photo. You could possibly get a press photo of an early Montego or indeed an image of the very last Montego saloon built (the White Diamond example built for Spain which features all the signatures on it of the workers who completed it in late November 1994) and have this made into a Royal icing image. Depending on space and aesthetics, you could possibly have a second image of an early Montego estate. This approach would possibly commemorate three anniversaries - 30th years of the Montego in both saloon and estate guise and 20 years of when the very last Montego was completed.

In addition, perhaps on top also have in some form of lettering which includes the word 'Montego' either on its own or as part of a grille badge design (think of the 1988 Model Year grille badge which had "Montego" written across it or the 1989 Model Year later Viking outline badge design), with the dates "1984" and "2014" either side of it.

Admittedly designing cakes is not something I have done before although hopefully these suggestions might provide some inspiration.

As an afterthought, I recall the MG 'M' Group South West area group having a cake made in 2003 to commemorate 20 years of the Maestro, which ended up being displayed on my car's bonnet complete with a silver knife and lace cloth underneath it to protect the paintwork! I might still have a photo of it somewhere (the cake)...

Comment

Have a look at www.bespokebakery.co.uk

Lesley here is able to make pretty much any car in a cake... Loads of pics if previous cakes and I'm sure you'll agree they are fabulous and not a jelly mould interpretation as many car cakes are

The cost is circa £175 and she has availability to have it done by 27th if ordered pronto

John

Comment

Should of said in the site go to celebrations.. Birthdays.. Your car in cake!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboi View Post
            The cost is circa £175
            Strewth!
            They'd need to change people about £15 a slice to eat it lol.
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya View Post
              The club has very kindly agreed to pay for a birthday cake for Montego's 30th. I need to order it in about a week's time, to be ready for Drive It Day/Montego's 30th at MINI Plant Oxford on Sunday 27th April.

I need ideas for the design, and cake design is really not my thing! Does anyone have a photo of the cake from Montego's 20th, as I understand there was a cake.

Anyway, all ideas welcome and very necessary!

Thank you
              Let me know when it's sorted Tanya
              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Just found a picture of the cake we had at the Montego 20th / Maestro 21st at Longbridge in 2004. Was that really ten years ago?
                Attached Files
                Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
                2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

I would go with Richard's idea of the grid background. In fact, why not just replicate the cover of the launch brochure?
                  1983 (Y) MG 1600
                  1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                  1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                  1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                  1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                  1990 Clubman D
                  1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Working...
                  X