Classic car insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic car insurance

I'm having real problems insuring my 1994 Clubman TD, it is currently insured on a "mainstream" policy and i am obviously keen to get it on a classic policy with an agreed valuation.

I have phoned around a few companies today (Footman James & Adrian Flux to name a couple) and they are unable to quote me at all.

They said loosely it may be due to the fact it is not 20 years old until May this year, but couldn't definitely give me a reason why it can't be covered on this type of policy.

Daveyboy had similar probelms back in 2009:
    http://maestro.org.uk/forums/showthr...ssic+insurance

The fact the car has been prominently on display at the NEC Classic Car Show in November last year on the club stand, prompted the girl to contact the underwriters to get a second opinion but it changed nothing.

For insurance purposes i would value it at about £2000 however with my mainstream policy it will only honour "market value" - which on this bread and butter model will only be peanuts i fear.

Never had a problem insuring " MG EFi's, my Vanden Plas - it seems at present there is no one willing to stick their neck out and insure these basic models.

There was one underwriter (highway) who was prepared to insure it on a classic policy (for £700!) but they were not prepared to offer an agreed valuation.

So my question is will anything change in May when the car turns 20? Has anybody else faced this frustrating situation? - If so what was the outcome?

How can i move forward with this?

My maestro and mr2 are bother insured through Adrian Flux. Off memory the maestro through equity red star think it was £150ish and I cant remember the name of the company used for the mr2 off hand but but it is also insured under a classic policy (2000 on a W) for £340 which is a bonus because I only have one set of no claims which is on the octavia vrs which are not needed for classic policy's. Think I got quoted £1200 for the mr2 without any no claims. A good tip there for anyone who has a 'new' car on a normal policy and a say another 13 year old or more car on a normal policy it might be cheaper getting it on a classic policy. Think even with my 8yr ncb on the mr2 still would be £370 a year on a normal policy. Try Adrian Flux any how Oli.

**Just noticed you said you have tried Adrian Flux, strange.
    Last edited by Andy; 27th March 2014, 15:45. Reason: re-read text
    MG Maestro Turbo #500
    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Peter James Insurance

I have a fleet policy with Peter James - http://www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk/. They didn't bat an eye lid when I added Montgomery (1994 diesel Countryman estate) but the only difference with him being younger (I bought him in January 2013) was that I needed a club official to sign my agreed valuation form. I duly got it signed, sent it off and got the agreed value. With Peter James for agreed values you can do it yourself unless your car is valued at more than £15,000 or younger than 20 years.

I find their customer service great and when I was rear ended in my Mini last year, I put the claim through them and it was very easy - no hassle at all. Obviously, they reclaimed from the third party, but they caused me no bother at all.

Comment

PETER JAMES INSURANCE

Hi Tanya

Thank you for that valuable info, i have been in touch with Peter James - but sadly they will only offer cover if the driver is aged 30+

The hunt continues!

Comment

You may have hit the nail on the head there with your age, Oli.

My wife has a multi car (classic) policy with Footman James: two Allegros, an Austin 1300 and a 1995 Rover 114 Cabriolet all covered for around £120 (total) with commuting included. She had to join the Metro Club to get a valuation on the 114, but the other three cars are self-valued. She is over 30, however. Seems to be a similar scenario to Tanya's but with a different broker.
          1983 (Y) MG 1600
          1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
          1987 700 City 1.6 Van
          1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
          1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
          1990 Clubman D
          1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Lancaster might be worth a try, or carol nash? But yes, being in your twenties will be a problem I think.

Flux are ok for modified cars as they do a like for like value of the modifications rather than a valuation. So that is the opposite of what you want.

There must be a company out there but you'll pay good money for the pleasure no doubt.

Comment

Try Admiral. Seriously, they have an agreed value scheme on certain models, and my Montego qualified.
              Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
              E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
              H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
              J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
              L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
              OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
              PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Originally posted by digital efi View Post
                You may have hit the nail on the head there with your age, Oli.
                It's definitely a factor, but i am far from convinced this is the whole story.

As annoyingly i insured my Vanden Plas last year for £180 with Footman James - with an agreed valuation of £2500. And any number of companies were offering the same prices for the same classic car cover.
                I also insured my 1998 BMW 328i Coupe (2.8 straight six 200bhp!) with Adrian Flux on a classic policy for £480 - not bad considering i was 21 at the time

So why is it such an issue to insure my Clubman D? I mean seriously it is like driving an asthmatic camel carrying a bag of spanners!!

I truly believe it is because it doesn't have "classic status" with the insurers that i can get cover with.

Phil & Sam (Admiral? Very interesting!) i will try your suggestions, many thanks.

Comment

Most classic policies don't cover people under 25 from memory. I've had no issues insuring the GTi turbo for many years now.
                  www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                  www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                  www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                    Most classic policies don't cover people under 25 from memory. I've had no issues insuring the GTi turbo for many years now.
                    Indeed, but the numerous companies which do offer this service (& i have given my business to) are unable to cover the Clubman D!

The first car insurance policy i ever took out was on a heavily modified Mini (with mods declared) 30 mins after passing my driving lest at the age of 17, it was a classic car policy with Footman James - for the princely sum of £522, my friends were paying £2000 upwards for Clios, 106s and Corsas at the same age!

I have never ever had an issue taking out classic car cover (with the companies which cover my age bracket), so why such a rigmarole with this car?

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
                      Sam (Admiral? Very interesting!)

I have a Multicar policy, though it's available as singles too. Montego insured FC with business cover for 10000 miles per annum, no NCB, on a driveway in a part of Sheffield that's usually on fire, I'm a writer with access to other cars. £552. Peter James wanted over £700 for TPFT classic cover, I get an agreed value on both policies, and the Admiral one earns me NCB.

The SAAB is also on the Multicar, at £726.50. Same cover as the Montego but they can't offer agreed value.
                      Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
                      E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
                      H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
                      J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
                      L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
                      OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
                      PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Have you tried 'Peter Best Insurance' who are at Maldon in Essex on 01621 840400! I have my 2003 Omega show car on a Classic Car insurance with them, but I am most probably over 3 times your age!!!!!
                        I have my Maestro with Adrian Flux on Classic but they will not give me an agreed valuation, BIG mistake going with them!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BravoMike9 View Post
                          Have you tried 'Peter Best Insurance' who are at Maldon in Essex on 01621 840400! I have my 2003 Omega show car on a Classic Car insurance with them, but I am most probably over 3 times your age!!!!!
                          I have my Maestro with Adrian Flux on Classic but they will not give me an agreed valuation, BIG mistake going with them!!!!
                          I went Flux Direct for the Montego and they did an agreed valuation. For the Monte and the E30 I have just used moneysupermarket and flux and lancaster quote on there. Got both for sub £100 but with limited mileage and I am older than I like to think I am!!
                          1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                          1989 BMW 316i
                          2013 BMW 320d Touring
                          2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
                          Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I tried Footman James towards the end of last year for insuring a Rover 200 BRM I was considering buying. They would not provide me with any form of classic or modern classic insurance because the car was not a minimum age of 20 years old. Instead they suggested a standard policy which came out at a ridiculous rate, even when garaged, driven by me only and limited to 1,500 miles a year. So much for recognising the appeal of 'modern classics'!
                            Last edited by David3500; 28th March 2014, 20:55.

Comment

Originally posted by David3500 View Post
                              I tried Footman James towards the end of last year for insuring a Rover 200 BRM I was considering buying. They would not provide me with any form of classic or modern classic insurance because the car was not a minimum age of 20 years old. Instead they suggested a standard policy which came out at a ridiculous rate, even when garaged, driven by me only and limited to 1,500 miles a year. So much for recognising the appeal of 'modern classics'!
                              Perhaps we were just lucky with the 114 cabriolet? (1995) Maybe because it was added to a policy we already had? Who knows.........insurance companies seem to be a law unto themselves
                              1983 (Y) MG 1600
                              1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
                              1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                              1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                              1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
                              1990 Clubman D
                              1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Working...
                              X