X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Richard H View Post
    MG EFI I spotted last year, since gone and believed scrapped

I tried to buy that a few times, even agreed a price with the bloke but when i went round to finalise the deal he'd changed his mind. That was before the concrete went down, which by the way is whats splashed up the side of the car!!

Comment

• Hi spotted a mint maestro club man turbo diesel in night fire red l reg, it was parked in an engineering companies yard in Milton high street. Anyones from here?

Comment

• On friday at 11.20 on a return trip in my truck from Kings Lynn on the A17 coming towards me from Sutton Bridge a L regd red maestro mayfair looked very tidy , anyone here ?

Comment

• Sure it was a Mayfair? The latest examples were on F registrations.

Comment

• Green Park Sainsburys, Bath 12/1/2013. From Oxfordshire. Nice.
            Attached Files
            K687PDL Maestro 700 Camper Van. 'Winnie', short for Winnebago and M791BMR Rover Metro 1.1 Rio Grande 'Poppet'. The White Fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oli View Post
              Sure it was a Mayfair? The latest examples were on F registrations.
              Looked to have mayfair wheel trims and mayfair decals at the rear quarter panals.

Comment

• Morrisons, Spalding a few days ago. Looked tidy!

Comment

• Originally posted by GregMac View Post

Morrisons, Spalding a few days ago. Looked tidy!
                  Nice, theres a few Montegos and Maestros round that way Greg. Like the early Astra, bit rare that
                  1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                  1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                  1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                  2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                  2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                  2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

• really like the Astra is it yours??
                    CURRENT FLEET:
                    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

• Yup, that's Greg's current daily. Looking forward to seeing it in the metal!
                      Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
                      E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
                      H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
                      J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
                      L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
                      OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
                      PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

• those ones with the saloon boot were rare to see when they were common sight on the roads, I don't know why you would have chosen one new over a hatchback...? maybe someone knows the answer?!

i really like vauxhalls of that age
                        CURRENT FLEET:
                        1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                        1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                        1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                        2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                        1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

• Saloon cars were always viewed as more upmarket than hatchbacks, for some peculiar reason, by your average punter. I suspect this was the case with the Astra. Pointless, really, but then so was putting a 'Maestro' badge on the grille instead of the Austin chevrons.

Comment

• ...you mean you didn't know that young people don't want to drive Austins?

That was the logic...
                            Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
                            E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
                            H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
                            J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
                            L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
                            OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
                            PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

• Saloon cars offer more passenger comfort because they tend to be quieter than hatchbacks or estates and you don't get cold if you are sat in the back when someone opens the boot. Citroen tried to address this with the XM by fitting an extra screen in between the hatch and the rear seats.

Some people also prefer the traditional shape of saloons but this Astra doesn't offer this because it looks exactly like a hatchback! Perhaps it was designed to appeal to Allegro owners? Or maybe it was a continental thing (for Opels) where people prefer saloons but without having to make a different bodyshell.

Comment

• Cheers guys. I knew it was rare when I bought it, but I've actually never seen another in the same spec. They did a booted 2 door as well, which looks even more strange.

I haven't compared it with a hatchback yet, but the boot really is huge and it seems to be bigger inside than my Maestro. Certainly get fewer complaints from people riding in the back (possibly because they're not getting dripped on from a knackered sunroof!)

A bit of digging showed that mine was made in West Germany rather than Ellesmere Port, which might be why it's survived. The build quality from the Opel factory was rumoured to be much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X