Broken aerial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken aerial

Does anyone know how to remove - and replace - a broken Maestro aerial, the type that goes into the drivers side A pillar? Also, does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

aerials

hi,Rimmer Brothers have them in stock
    Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

...and it's an awful job to replace one.

You'll need to attach a sturdy rope/cable of similar thickness to the end of the aerial lead. It needs to be very securly attached - yet be a fairly smooth join to allow free movement in the roof pillar.

Only then pull the aerial lead up through the roof pillar, making sure it doesn't snag on anything behind the dashboard on its way in to the pillar.

You should end up with your rope/cable in place of the aerial lead, with plenty inside the car and running through the pillar and out the other end. Attach said rope/cable to the end of the new aerial lead and reverse the process, making sure it doesn't snag or come adrift on its journey back down the pillar.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the info, both of you. How do I remove the aerial from the top of the A pillar? I cannot see anything that attaches it to the top of the pillar, such as screws or the like. Do I simply prise it off, or tug it off with brute force?

Comment

there you go a link

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-EEP9

there 2 screws on the top
          MG Maestro turbo 437
          367 Bhp

Comment

If you have an early car, where the screws are not visible, you'll need to pop off the outer cover and the screws are hidden underneath.

Comment

Ah...that is where they are, the hidden screws. Thanks.

Comment

Yes it can be a frustrating job but just be patient and you'll get there. The new aerial will have exposed screws on the top of the base but is a like-for-like replacement as it has been since the old style aerial like you have was no longer available in 1989! I use old TV aerial wire and remove the outer insulation and the copper braiding to leave me with a smooth flexible bend-able cable which can be attached to the old car aerial wire by bending the inner metal solid wire round and possibly twisting it until it is really secure. Pull the old aerial up and out, leaving the TV aerial wire inside the pillar. Attach the new aerial wire to the TV wire like you did before and pull/push/manoevre gently and you will get there in the end. It does tend to get snagged on things which is why it is difficult. Only use a genuine replacement like the Rimmer Bros one, don't get an aftermarket one because they are not an accurate moulding and can cause rainwater leaks!
                M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

The braided copper is also very easy to damage while fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Rover View Post
                    If you have an early car, where the screws are not visible, you'll need to pop off the outer cover and the screws are hidden underneath.
                    I wonder why often the aluminium tip of the first type aerial bursts off the RVS mast. Now this early one is no longer available I had to replace the tip only.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X