X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Hub Bearings... again

Confused.

Unipart has 3 part numbers, I have fitted 1260s to 1990 hubs
    according to this I shouldn't have as they are listed for 86-88 cars.

Is there a difference between 1260 and 1366?

GHK1261 83-85 twin
    GHK1260 86-88 single
    GHK1366 89-94 single

Having just bought a front wheel bearing only yesterday...my motorfactor informed me after much catalogue searching that the 89-94 version is an improved and uprated version suitable for diesel versions.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along at some point for the full story.

This is the version I bought for my Ledbury.

Comment

Sceptical ol me now thinking it will be the same single bearing under newer part no.

1260 'looks' well made and is taper roller bearings -
      'how' could it be improved upon?

Ahh, just had email from mate - 1366 is listed as MGF hub bearing.
      Bet it's identical to 1260.

Comment

I understand there are 3 types of front hub bearing. Early 'two piece', later 'one piece' (86-88?) and even later 'one piece tapered' (from 89' on ish). As far as I know, the later 'one piece' are both interchangeable but the early 'two piece' cannot be replaced with the 'one piece'. The last Montegos will have had the 'tapered' and probably the same as the MGF. You can tell an early two piece by seeing if there is a plastic water shield and oil seal on inside of hub carrier where meeting driveshaft. If none, you have the later 'one piece' and so can use an MGF bearing. ( I think!)
        Last edited by Jumturbo; 17th April 2009, 17:24.
        sigpic
        63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
        'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
        '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
        '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
        'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
        '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
        'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

GHK1260 will have ball bearings and GHK1366 will have taper bearings and is fitted of our cars plus Rover metro and MGF MGTF.

Always go for the taper bearings much stronger. I am surpised Unipart still make GHK1260

Comment

I thought they werent interchangeable as the are different sizes?

Comment

The front single piece bearings (earlier ball bearings and later and better roller bearings) are exactly the same size and so must be fully interchangeable. I have one of each in front of me and have measured each of them. I can only tell them apart by the part numbers on each box.

Comment

Working...
              X