Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myerscough MG Maestro Project Car

Hi,
    here is an attachment of a few photos I have taken of what has currently been going on with the Maestro. If anyone has any hits, tips or advice on the car all would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any ideas or comment all will be taken on board.
    Thanks
    Adam
    Attached Files

Is that original paint & decals?

Comment

Thats not actually a challenge car. All the challenge cars were group N 2.0Efis
      Thats an MG 1600, to the best of my knowledge no 1600 ever did the Lombard RAC rally

Comment

Can I provide a little more information on the project. We are a group of second year college students, currently studying a level 3 Extended Diploma in Motorsports. As part of this course we have a project. As you can see from the photos our project is the MG Maestro 1600. The brief we have been given is to return the car to the original spec the car was built for when it was used as part of the Austin Rover Rallysprint challenge in the 1980s.
        the photos where taken on the second we of working on the car.
        Attached Files

Comment

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the Myerscough College boyos!

The car that you're working on is described in detail in my thread here FYI:

Maestro & Montego Owners Club > General Forums > Motorsport
          BLOG MY RIDE: Rally MG Maestro 1600 - Car B
          http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15649

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, some of whom raced or rallied the Maestro in the MG Maestro Challenge against F1 legends like Gary Brabham and future World Champion Damon Hill:
          MG Maestro Challenge 1987. Silverstone Race. Damon Hill in D129OOE.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJsa2RJnuE0

and M-Sport World Rally Champ boss (and ex MG Metro 6R4 works driver) Malcolm Wilson:
          MG Maestro Challenge 1987. Ruddington. Malcolm Wilson in D129OOE.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYQwQS_sNI

I'm sure that the other club members will give you as much help as they can; new school talent at the college applied to old school historic motorsport!

Comment

Hi and welcome.

My only tip is to make 100% sure that the carb is fuel tight and if in doubt rebuild it. They were quite well known for going up in flames (due to fuel leaks on the carb usually).
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Is it just me or has college changed a bit since most of us were lads! Getting to rebuild a rally car, fantastic!

Good luck guys.

Ian
              Ian Drew
              MG Maestro Turbo '400'
              MG ZT V8
              Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Welcome....Its good to see the car will be getting overhauled. How in depth are you going with it? I rallied a 1600 R series car from 2011 to 2013 so know them well

I second the carb rebuild comment.. Id imagine they'd be getting rebuilt anyway but it really is a problem with the exhaust manifold directly below.

Comment

Working...
                X