20120310-Africa Maestro welcome-Ace Cafe-London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20120310-Africa Maestro welcome-Ace Cafe-London

Here's a thread just for this event which relates to the London to Capetown car as detailed here:
    http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16304

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15135

and here's a distillation of the gen relating to this event drawn from another thread:

the Ace are in big demand for all slots by all sorts of car and biker event organisers, but it might be possible to do a "late breakfast" of around 10.0am on a Saturday or a Sunday - watch this space, something might emerge for mid-March. The car parking is limited to around 40 cars and they are rather concerned at overlapping events. (Hence trying to get us in before the rival Lunchtime attraction).

All meet up at the Ace Cafe, 9.30am to 10.30 March 10, and then move on to the workshop down the road at Tony Fowkes Autos, to look around the car on the ramp, and hear the tales of derring-do from the Girls. We are bringing jars of coffee and sausage rolls for added survival-rations. All welcome. Maestros and Montegos get their own parking slot.

The Ace is east of the Hanger Lane tube-station junction of the North Circular Road, by the turn off for Park Royal (which is convenient, given Tonys place is Corby Road, Park Royal, NW10 7AH). Easy to remember, NW as in the Frontier, the 10 as in Morris, the 7 as in Austin Seven.... and AH stands for Austin Healey.

Near Middlesex hospital for the forgetful.
    It's on. The girls have confirmed they will be there - here's a chance to talk to Jane Edgington and Gill Cotton on their drive and experiences. Tony Fowkes is knocking up sandwiches for late-comers at the workshop. The car will be as it comes, direct from the shipping.

Here are some useful websites FYI:
    http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/

http://www.tonyfowkesautomobiles.com/

Philip came to our MG Maestro stand at Race Retro and kindly invited us to bring this car along to the event:
    http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/sho...t=15649&page=3

The Ace Cafe (you see it regularly on the Fifth Gear motoring programme as its often based there with Vicki Butler Henderson and Tiff Needel drinking the coffee), is on the North Circular Road, chequered flags fly from the roof tops, opposite a large black building with D-Link across the front on the other side of the North Circular (south side). A fascinating cafe, interesting to browse around and see what is hanging off the walls. (Nearly as good as the Lenham Cafe on the A20 in Kent).

Any idea of numbers? - we are all meeting up on Saturday, March 10th, from 9.30to 11.0am, for a late breakfast, then moving on to the Tony Fowkes workshop in Corby Road, nearby (Park Royal). Links from John Clayton above should help if you want to dial in Tom Tom.

Jane Edgington the driver, Gill Cotton navigator, and Tony Fowkes and Co will be there to meet up with Maestro enthusiasts.

Ive sent E.T.V. a few photos not previously published...can someone give him a nudge to put them up here please? (or maybe he didnt get them!). There are some other pictures up on the girl's site at www.girlsacrossafrica.com

Who/how many people are intending to be there?

I'll be there with a friend.

Comment

I'll be there with my Maestro. I might bring some army lads with me as well..

Comment

Directions on how to find the Ace Cafe (and for those coming along later, the Tony Fowkes workshop in Corby Road, Park Royal), is above - all welcome for Saturday's meeting with the two girls, Jane Edgington and Gill Cotton....the Maestro is hopefully going to be driven out of Felixstowe docks under its own steam (thursday morning by Gill's husband John and Tony Fowkes).

Now then: Is it a valve gone, or is it the mechanical fuel-pump or something similar? Hopefully there wont be a shortage of experts to give an opinion on Saturday. Glad to hear it will be running and not needing a trailer.

Comment

I will be bringing my rally Maestro along on a trailer so I'd like to know if the car park is likely to be v busy at the cafe, or is there likely to be space to park up my rig (pick up truck and a long trailer)?

Comment

What an excellent way to spend a morning!.

We got to the Ace a little early and met up with Philip for breakfast.

We were soon joined by Piggybank and co, who had traveled over yesterday from Holland in there Perkins powered van.

Then we were joined by the girls and there respective partners, soon followed by Ricky (Thames Tyres) and John C whith his rally 1600 on a trailer.

After a good chat and several "photo-shoots" by those attending it was off to the workshop in a small convoy with Tony driving the rally Maestro.

On arrival we were met by Tony's sons, and led to a table with a fine spread of goodies to munch on, and a chance to catch up with the team in it's entirety to discuss the rally and it's conclusion.

We were also joined by Gary and his other half, and a few others, so the turn out was quite well attended despite the location.

My little royce was doing his best to charm all the ladies, and grab centre stage jumping in and out of cars for a go behind the wheel!.

The car certainly shows it's battle scars well, and despite being in need of the valve issue sorting, the only obvious damage was the off side tail lamp and the passenger headlamp glass.(untill you peek underneath!)

Ricky and I will be sorting out replacements this weekend, for Tony to fit sometime this week.

I did'nt get any pictures myself, but am assured that some will be posted up in due course by those that did.

Thanks to Philip, Tony & his sons, "The Ladies" and the whole team for making us all feel welcome, and putting up with our unending barage of questions about the rally and how the car behaved through out.

A final thanks to all at the "Ace Cafe" Who greated us with pleasent smiles and great service.

Mal.

Comment

That sounds like an excellent day! A shame it was so far to go, really...but I should hope there are other opportunities to see the car this year.

Comment

Many thanks to Philip, Tony, the girls (and everyone else involved) for Sunday -it was an excellent event.

It was great to meet some other Maestro afficionados (especially MG Mal, Piggy Bank and Thames Tyres), and I was impressed with people's knowledge (and 'rides').

Hats off to Piggy Bank for coming all the way over from Holland (but I totally get that it's too far for some people to travel with the ludicrous cost of fuel nowadays).

The Fowkes' workmanship was impressive, even when viewed from underneath with all the knocks evident on the sumpguard/cross member etc.

It certainly helped bring people together, and I was fascinated by the tales from the girls and others

Comment

I think it would be good to get the car (and those involved as well) to move around the country a bit - if anyone has some suggestions for shows or meetings, lets be hearing from you. Particularly North of Watford....

The next item is the Historic Rally Car Register's noggin and natter at the Gate pub in Bryants Bottom, Hughenden Valley, near High Wycombe, (go along the M40 and then go west of the town into open country - now it gets tough - all a bit of a challenge for navigators, this one, but its a room at the back of the pub and the atmosphere is terrific. The car will be there, and Tony and myself are going to be putting on a double act with a slide show on the preparation and a chat about the event, route, highlight, adventures, etc, Im hoping Gill, (or Jane as well but thats a bit of a big ask as she works in North Wales midweek), will also drop in. Its Tuesday April 3rd

You dont have to be a member of the hrcr, drop in - pub food available. We normally get going around 7.30. These meetings are monthly. (never had anyone venture very far although a number of the speakers have been stars from the past - finding the place is NOT easy!). A former foreman of the BL/Leyland competitions department, Bill Price (author of the definitive book on the results, the cars, the people etc) puts on these evenings. Other ex-competitions dept. people attend who built and serviced the cars, former Top Navigator Willy Cave (now 85) drives up from Richmond (the London one, not the prettier Yorkshire version). So you meet some interesting people even if you find the Guest speakers a bit, well, er, boring.

By the way, those of you who have ever wondered how you get into this scene, and dont want to do car-damaging events, there are low-cost road events run by the various centres, around the country lanes, and, no-timing Scenic Tours, and some tours with a spot of competitoin like a Test or low-speed Regularity stuff (its all at 30 mph and if you think this is dull then it has to be tried...). There are training courses for total novices etc. and its a busy scene, the club has over 2,000 members.

.... Back to the Africa Maestro:

The MMG Group are holding a show at the Old Warden airfield in Bedfordshire, in July (someone please flag up details on this forum!), and the car has been asked to rock up, so Tony and myself will be going along to this one as well. The car is now being cleaned up - what happens to it now is a question that keeps popping up. We just dont know. Any ideas?
                  Last edited by Philip Young; 14th March 2012, 18:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Young View Post
                    The MMG Group are holding a show at the Old Warden airfield in Bedfordshire, in July (someone please flag up details on this forum!), and the car has been asked to rock up, so Tony and myself will be going along to this one as well. The car is now being cleaned up - what happens to it now is a question that keeps popping up. We just dont know. Any ideas?
                    I take it you mean MGM Group? - Patrick of the MGM Group sent me confirmed details of their event in December - which I promptly added to this thread for your perusal:

http://maestro.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16217
                    CURRENT FLEET:
                    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Yes, MG Saloon Day, Shuttleworth aircraft collection at Old Warden, Beds (seeing the early icons pre-Spitfire era such as a Sopwith Camel will be a bonus).

Make a date.... July 8th - the Africa Maestro will be there, Tony is keen to attend also.

The car is also at an illustrated talk at The Gate pub, 7.30 on (pubgrub available), Bryants Bottom - Hughenden Valley, High Wycombe, on Tuesday April 3rd. - an Historic Rallycar Register club night but all welcome.
                      Last edited by Philip Young; 14th March 2012, 18:47.

Comment

Hi Philip is it ever to be on display this side of Birmingham, or is that highly unlikely?
                        Regards
                        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Nothing has been suggested, dont know of any meetings but, we hope one way or the other it will be at the NEC classic car show next November.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Young View Post
                            Make a date.... July 8th - the Africa Maestro will be there, Tony is keen to attend also.
                            Tickets are on sale online (link in my signature).

There's a Facebook page too if you'd like to log your attendance - https://www.facebook.com/events/328178880539628/

Comment

I've just realised that when we had the red and white Maestros parked up next to each other, we captured the oldest and newest Maestros from top-level motorsport in one picture!

Comment

Working...
                              X