Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front wishbone bush collar's worn/spinning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wishbone bush collar's worn/spinning?

The collars on the bushes on the front wishbones are spinning within the front wishbone (and there is quite a lot of lateral movement there as well).

Chris can put new bushes in but they don't have a new metal collar (surrounding the bush) so he's not sure if this will fix the problem -it may write off the new bush as well. Chris thinks welding the collars (to stop them moving) MIGHT work, but he's not sure if this is safe cos of the amount of wear present, so new wishbones might be a better idea?

What do you guys think?

[We're hoping to get some photos of the above uploaded to this thread next week]

Any pics would be helpful as I can't for the life of me remember teh details of the bit you are talking about.

The arms are only steel so welding will be fine. Just a few blobs will be all that is needed. But I can't remember anyone else ever having this issue!
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

if its a montego ive just fitted front bushes to my wishbones ,they didnt
      have a metal sleeve just pushed in to the hole...Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris-euro View Post
        if its a montego ive just fitted front bushes to my wishbones ,they didnt
        have a metal sleeve just pushed in to the hole...Chris
        Agreed.

No metal outer surround bonded to the rubber on front wishbone bushes, only an inner metal sleeve through the centre of the rubber.

Comment

which bits are we talking about??? maestros and montegos dont have wishbones.

Comment

eh?? Front suspension wishbones.
            Originally posted by henocsr View Post

Comment

Originally posted by henocsr View Post
              Oh , that would explain why my car is so low at the front LOL

Comment

The rear bush has a metal sleeve around it which then has 3 bolts going into the chassis? But how that would rotate around is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                  eh?? Front suspension wishbones.
                  i guess by that you mean the lower arms. wishbones dont look like maestro lower arms.

Wishbones by defination look like wishbones (triangle shape) like in this listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-S-T...item41628bc442
                  Last edited by henocsr; 16th February 2012, 22:24.

Comment

They have 2 bushes and a ball joint. I'd say that was triangular. You failed in a massive way, stop trying to pretend you didn't :LOL:

Comment

no way triangular Phil !
                      a sort of opened-out L shape is as near as one can describe it.
                      midget1380@btinternet.com

Comment

but fundamentally 2 bushes and a ball joint, that is 3 points, doesn't matter what sort, Isosceles, Scalene, Equiangular, Acute, Right, Obtuse, 3 sides is triangular!

Comment

but fundamentally 2 bushes and a ball joint, that is 3 points, doesn't matter what sort, Isosceles, Scalene, Equiangular, Acute, Right, Obtuse, 3 sides is triangular!
                          Obtuse indeed

Comment

They have 2 bushes and a ball joint. I'd say that was triangular. You failed in a massive way, stop trying to pretend you didn't :LOL:
                            trust me i know what a wishbone is, and what you are calling a wishbone is not one. i work in the motor trade and have done so for 12 years. i have worked in the dealer network of Land Rover, MG Rover and currently in a Jaguar dealer. I am well aware of the correct names for suspension componants.

i am not willing to argue with someone i have never met about a subject which is not going to help other people on this forum to repair their own cars. i am not sure that me labelling all differnert types of suspension componant will be helpful.

that is the last thing i will say on the matter other than this......

a spade and a shoval both have handles and blades but both do different jobs and are used for different things, but you will always get people calling every object that looks like a spade a shoval and objects that look like shovals, spades
                            Last edited by henocsr; 17th February 2012, 21:46.

Comment

Attached is a photo that Chris has just emailed me of the problem I described above -does it help clarify things at all?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X